Trying to use an XP machine to stora Vista data...

Intelman34

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to setup an XP Pro Sp3 desktop (network name of Server) to be used as a file dumping ground for my VIsta 32bit laptop, but I am having a hell of a time getting it to work.

The XP machine has 1 internal drive and 2 external USB drives (network named data1 and data 2) connected to it. I have no problems transferring stuff to and from the internal drive with my Vista laptop. However, I cannot do anything with the 2 external drives connected to the desktop. They show up on the network map just fine and I can open them, but i cant put files on them. Yet the internal works great. I keep getting the following "error":
Destination folder access denied. You need permission to perform this action.

I have been searching for hours for a solution that will work... still nothing. On the externals, I go to properties, than in the security tab, I can see that the permissions are not checked, but when I try to modify them (from an administrator account):confused: , I get the following message:

"An error occurred while applying security information to: \\Server\data1
Access is denied"

When I hit continue, I get the following message:
"Unable to save permission changes on data1 (\\Server).
Access is denied"

Ive turned simple file sharing on on the XP machine... nothin. Turned on and off user account control... nothin. Disabled both firewalls... nothin. File and printer sharing is enabled.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

Ugh... nevermind... got it going. Forgot to set permissions on the XP machine for the usb drives.

Back