Trying to understand Verizon's off contract More Everything pricing

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Hi all,

This is a difficult topic to research I've found. I'm on a plan with two others, and our devices just became eligible for upgrade on the 27th. Neither of them are really interested in upgrading, the only thing I might be interested in is a developer edition note 4. So we will likely be moving forward with month to month pricing. Here are some factors that a friend of mine who works at a verizon store confirmed were correct:

1) Off contract customers may apply for a per phone discount by logging into My Verizon, and selecting it for each phone that is either purchased at retail, or has reached the end of a two year contract (as is in my case.)
2) This discount is dependent on the data plan selected, and matches the EDGE plan discounts - $15/phone if you have less than 6GB data plan, or $25/phone if you have 6GB or more data plan.

We are currently on a $40 2GB data plan, and honestly we barely use data at all so I was going to suggest we move to 1GB to save some money. There is one more factor to consider:

3) We have a corporate discount of 20% off, which applies to the data plan price.

So, our $40 data plan was really $32. When I started considering this discount in conjunction with the off contract discounts, I came up with some interesting numbers:

A) Selecting the 1GB/mo plan would be $24 ($30 normal,) and three $15 discounted phones for $25 access each, totaling $99/mo before taxes etc.

B) Selecting the 6GB/mo plan would be $56 ($70 normal,) and three $25 discounted phones for $15 access each, totaling $101/mo before taxes etc.

If this math is correct, that's a $2 difference between them, and the data plans in between make absolutely no sense. What's everyone's take on this?

TL;DR
contract ended, not interested in new subsidized phones
non subsidized discount is greater with higher data plan
corp discount reduces data plan cost increase
difference between 1gb plan and 6gb plan is $2 a month
too good to be true?

Nope. Just went through a similar scenario with my corporate Verizon rep. Pricing was a little different that your situation because I'm dealing with fewer phones but it was a $6/month difference between the 4GB and 10GB plans.

Verizon's been responding to the price/service war (between ATT/Tmobile/sprint)

It used to be the case where you need 10GB ($100 for bucket itself) to qualify for the discounted line fees...

Now, it's just 6GB @ $70. Are you happy that competition exists, and you aren't forced to get a new phone every 2 years?

After you perform this change, check back often to see if Verizon offers discounts/different promos. Example: 10GB @ $80 is discounted from the regular price of $100, it'll go back to $100 soon after promotion ends

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. I'll feel better trying to explain this to the other two, and feel more confident that this actually exists if we somehow end up in a vzw store.

I have unlimited data still. Currently no contract. Do any of these discounts apply to me? $152/month for two lines is starting to get expensive.

10GB should be more than enough for the two of us, if we can somehow qualify for those lines without buying phones. I really love the idea of unlimited data though, so I am very much torn between unlimited, and saving money per month.

If I understand it correctly, it would be $80/month for 10GB - 18% discount + $15/phone (x2) = $95.60/month. This is if we bring our own phones. Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Hi all,

2) This discount is dependent on the data plan selected, and matches the EDGE plan discounts - $15/phone if you have less than 6GB data plan, or $25/phone if you have 6GB or more data plan.

Isn't this backwards? According to this Verizon page, if you have 6GB or more data, then line charges are $15/month. Their calculator verifies it also.

Notice he said discounts. 15$ discount on less than 6gb plans and $25 discount on greater than 6gb. So $25 per phone charge on the lower and $15 per phone on higher.

I have unlimited data still. Currently no contract. Do any of these discounts apply to me? $152/month for two lines is starting to get expensive.

10GB should be more than enough for the two of us, if we can somehow qualify for those lines without buying phones. I really love the idea of unlimited data though, so I am very much torn between unlimited, and saving money per month.

If I understand it correctly, it would be $80/month for 10GB - 18% discount + $15/phone (x2) = $95.60/month. This is if we bring our own phones. Am I missing anything?

a) Test drive T-mobile (free 7- day trial, only need $700 hold on credit card, refunded when you return device)
http://explore.t-mobile.com/test-drive-free-trial

t-mobile have unlimited plans ($100 +tax for 2 lines both unlimited). just remember that you do not get a subsidized phone on t-mobile (or verizon's new plans)

t-mobile's coverage isn't as good as verizon though... but it works well in metro areas, and you get unlimited data when you do get LTE signal (*some reports of t-mobile throttling in heavy-congested areas, throttle stops if you move to a non-congested area)

b) If you decide to drop unlimited, that number ($96 + tax) looks accurate for verizon... just contact Verizon and see if they offer you anything to switch. I think some people were able to get better rates (eg $100 for 30GB) than the current promotional pricing

Last edited:
man u gotta read that fine print again on your T-Mobile that you are promoting

the first 1 GB is 4G after that, 2G unless you nearly DOUBLE the price for the first line to $80 a month or unlimited 4G. For a limited time they are doing 2.5GB

Just to give you an idea

4 Lines Plan

$ 220 per month

Plus taxes, fees and monthly device payment

Line 1 / $80 per month
•Unlimited talk, text, and data while on our network
•Unlimited 4G LTE data (includes up to 5GB Smartphone Mobile HotSpot data)

Line 2 / $60 per month

Line 3 / $40 per month

Line 4 / $40 per month
•Unlimited 4G LTE data (includes up to 5GB Smartphone Mobile HotSpot data

Now if I replicate ,my service it breaks down like this

4 Lines Plan

$ 130 per month

Plus taxes, fees and monthly device payment

Line 1 / $80 per month

Line 2 / $30 per month
•Up to 2.5GB of 4G LTE data (Speeds reduced after 2.5GB)

Line 3 / $10 per month

Line 4 / $10 per month

This is what I currently have

I have 4 lines for $120

Line one $40 mo. +$20 for unlimited 4G and 3GB hotspot
Line two $40 mo. 1GB high speed data
Line three $10 mo. 1GB high speed data
line four $10 mo. 1GB high speed data

All lines include unlimited talk text and web (data)

Plus$40 internet access for my parents who live in the middle of nowhere 5GB/mo. high speed, then 2g. Works for them as they only check e-mail and do system updates.

Total $168 including B.S. and tax vs. 260+ tax or $170+tax

Last edited:
man u gotta read that fine print again on your T-Mobile that you are promoting

You need to know what I'm trying to promote

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-family-data-plan.html

Tmobile does have a 2 line promotion, truly unlimited everything (not 1GB high speed) for $100+tax (except for the possible prioritization I talked about before, 5GB tethering limjt)

Kelvarr said he has 2 lines... Each additional line on this plan must also be on unlimited, +$40/line. FAQ says promotion will be valid if you remain on it

Once you sign up for the Simple Choice Unlimited 4G LTE Family Plan your plan features will continue, even after the promotion is no longer available, as long as you keep at least two lines on your account and have unlimited 4G LTE data on all lines.

Last edited:
No one has ever forced you to buy a new phone every 2 years...

True

But in the past, the phone subsidy was hidden in the cost of service. If you don't pay the $199 upgrade fee for a new phone every 2 years(or$0 upgrade fee for older/cheaper phones), you are leaving money on the table for then carrier

That's why I say "forced to get a new phone" or it'll be a waste

True

But in the past, the phone subsidy was hidden in the cost of service. If you don't pay the $199 upgrade fee for a new phone every 2 years(or$0 upgrade fee for older/cheaper phones), you are leaving money on the table for then carrier

That's why I say "forced to get a new phone" or it'll be a waste

If the new plans were all actually cheaper then this would be a good point but currently the new plans all suck because they are expensive to start with. We only have 700 min for 4 people, we use maybe 200-300 per month. We just don't need unlimited minutes that pretty much all plans have now and they upped the price because they now have unlimited minutes and texts.

The family plan I'm on is cheaper counting the "hidden" costs of the devices when factor in actually buying one phone on any of the new plans that don't include the cost of the device. So for me if only one person upgrades we are at roughly the same price as all the plans now days that don't included upgrades if you bought a phone. We still have 3 more subsidized upgrades that don't increase the cost of the plan where that would get mighty expensive on the new current plans.

I am really contemplating this move away from unlimited. Yes, I have two lines, Under the Family Share Plan. The plan itself is subject to my discount of 18%, but not the data. So here is my breakdown:

700 Minutes, Unlimited Messaging Plan: $99.98-18%=$83.68/month
Unlimited Data, Line 1: $29.99-18%=$24.59/month
Unlimited Data, Line 2: $29.99/month
Total: $141.36
Data usage high in the last 6 months was 4.67GB, with an average of 2.6GB

With the More Everything 10GB plan, if I am correct in my quoted math, it comes out to $95.60/month (plus taxes... ~$11.50). This would save me $45.76/month.

I mean, that is a no-brainer right? I know I give up unlimited, but with our usage habits, 10GB is basically unlimited anyway.

We would be bringing our own devices, so no Edge Phone pricing. My wife was just upgraded to her Moto X, and I can get a new personal phone by upgrading my work phone at contract pricing.

Am I missing something? It really seems like we have nothing to lose by changing plans. Also, in the event that we need to add a line for my oldest daughter, it would add only $15/month, correct?

I am really contemplating this move away from unlimited. Yes, I have two lines, Under the Family Share Plan. The plan itself is subject to my discount of 18%, but not the data. So here is my breakdown:

700 Minutes, Unlimited Messaging Plan: $99.98-18%=$83.68/month
Unlimited Data, Line 1: $29.99-18%=$24.59/month
Unlimited Data, Line 2: $29.99/month
Total: $141.36
Data usage high in the last 6 months was 4.67GB, with an average of 2.6GB

With the More Everything 10GB plan, if I am correct in my quoted math, it comes out to $95.60/month (plus taxes... ~$11.50). This would save me $45.76/month.

I mean, that is a no-brainer right? I know I give up unlimited, but with our usage habits, 10GB is basically unlimited anyway.

We would be bringing our own devices, so no Edge Phone pricing. My wife was just upgraded to her Moto X, and I can get a new personal phone by upgrading my work phone at contract pricing.

Am I missing something? It really seems like we have nothing to lose by changing plans. Also, in the event that we need to add a line for my oldest daughter, it would add only $15/month, correct?

How are you getting $96.60/month? That 10GB plan is $80/month itself, plus $40/month for each smartphone (on a 2-yr contract) on that account, so that's $160/month alone right there before taxes and your applied discount. Or they're saying $15/month for each smartphone on the Edge plan, then you'll pay $20-$30/month on top of that for the device payment, so it comes to about the same price as the contract pricing, you'll just save (initially at least) yourself from paying the $200+ up front for the phone on contract.

Right now I'm paying about $135/month (after taxes and everything else) for two phones on unlimited everything + 1400 mins/month (promotional deal I got a long time ago and stayed on it). I see no incentive to drop it still for tiered data even though I normally only use 2-4 GBs/month. I travel for work a couple times a year though and am gone for at least a week or two, where I use my phone as my sole internet connection and can use up to 20-30 GBs with tethering. I'll be milking Verizon for as long as I can still until they kick me off of it, at which time I'm hoping Tmo will step up their coverage a lot more so I can move to them.

Instead of giving up unlimited data have you guys considered dropping to the cheapest voice plan like 450 minutes, port the number to Google Voice then use it with Hangouts/Dialer for unlimited calling and SMS within North America over data? Unlimited data, especially Verizon, is way too valuable to give up.

How are you getting $96.60/month? That 10GB plan is $80/month itself, plus $40/month for each smartphone (on a 2-yr contract) on that account, so that's $160/month alone right there before taxes and your applied discount. Or they're saying $15/month for each smartphone on the Edge plan, then you'll pay $20-$30/month on top of that for the device payment, so it comes to about the same price as the contract pricing, you'll just save (initially at least) yourself from paying the $200+ up front for the phone on contract.

Right now I'm paying about $135/month (after taxes and everything else) for two phones on unlimited everything + 1400 mins/month (promotional deal I got a long time ago and stayed on it). I see no incentive to drop it still for tiered data even though I normally only use 2-4 GBs/month. I travel for work a couple times a year though and am gone for at least a week or two, where I use my phone as my sole internet connection and can use up to 20-30 GBs with tethering. I'll be milking Verizon for as long as I can still until they kick me off of it, at which time I'm hoping Tmo will step up their coverage a lot more so I can move to them.

I have the math noted. Assuming I am not missing something

10GB Plan = $80 - 18% company discount = $65.60/month
Line 1: $40 - $25 discount for bringing my own phone = $15/month
Line 2: $40 - $25 discount for bringing wife's phone = $15/month
Total (before taxes): $65.60 + $15 + $15 = $96.60/month

My current plan is $141.36 before taxes.

How do you tether on your phone? I don't have hotspot on my phone, and FoxFi stopped working for me long ago.

Instead of giving up unlimited data have you guys considered dropping to the cheapest voice plan like 450 minutes, port the number to Google Voice then use it with Hangouts/Dialer for unlimited calling and SMS within North America over data? Unlimited data, especially Verizon, is way too valuable to give up.

A) I don't think those of us on the unlimited plan can make any plan changes. B) How would you port the number to Google Voice and keep your data on your phone?

Some phones like the Verizon Galaxy S6 work with Foxfi WIFI tethering out of the box but you want to be careful about future OTA updates as they might close that capability. Or, use another/older phone that is rootable, install Xposed and XTether module to enable WIFI tether over UDP.

You don't need WIFI tether though to use Google Voice+Hangouts over UDP for unlimited voice and SMS within North America if that's what you're asking. And, the point of porting your number to GV is so people don't have to call you on a new # to take advantage of unlimited. After porting just have Verizon replace the mobile carrier # with another. Then, change the carrier voice plan to something cheap that will serve as backup when you're out of 3G/4G data or WIFI range needed for GV+HO.

After all that is done you have two dialers, GV/HO dialer tied to your ported old # that uses UDP and stock dialer tied to new carrier # that uses carrier minutes and they both work like having a two line phone.

As for changing your carrier voice plan you can try this and keep trying a different retention dept agent until you find someone helpful. I'm already on $60 450/UDP and gave out my GV # to begin with so didn't need to go through that.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/460015-convert-voice-line-udp-data-only.html#post4042554

As for the plan itself. you can't drop voice, but Verizon does have a hidden Loyalty plan that drops the minutes to 30 per month. Basically, the plan is 30 minutes, pay by the text, and unlimited data. The cost is $45 a month. This will be your best bet. When you call Verizon, just make sure to not tell them you plan on using the SIM in a tablet, hotspot, or anything else. Keep the SIM active on your phone when you call. You'll need the Loyalty department to get this plan active. You'll keep the new number from Verizon that you did in the first paragraph.

Benefits with this solution is it works over any data and codec is efficient so it works even over 3G. Sometimes you're stuck underground without carrier signal but if you have WIFI access it still works. You can have more than one GV # signed in to HO for multiline capability. You can have multiple devices signed in with the same GV # and they all ring until you pick up one so you can have the same universal GV # for home, office, car, entertainment room, etc. And, UDP can serve as WIFI tether on the road, home broadband even for wired devices via AP bridge, redundant internet connection, etc.

Last edited:
How are you getting $96.60/month?

then you'll pay $20-$30/month on top of that for the device payment

we're comparing grandfathered unlimited plan (with no free upgrades), and More Everything plan + off-contract discount (also, no free phones)

hence, you don't add in the "free"/subsidized/EDGE-financed phone when you do the comparison

@Kelvarr, you'll save $50/month

does it make sense to save $50 and drop unlimited on Verizon? hard to say, look at your own data usage and see

I have the math noted. Assuming I am not missing something

10GB Plan = $80 - 18% company discount = $65.60/month
Line 1: $40 - $25 discount for bringing my own phone = $15/month
Line 2: $40 - $25 discount for bringing wife's phone = $15/month
Total (before taxes): $65.60 + $15 + $15 = $96.60/month

My current plan is $141.36 before taxes.

How do you tether on your phone? I don't have hotspot on my phone, and FoxFi stopped working for me long ago.

Ahh, I didn't catch that you're bringing your own devices. So do you plan on buying your phones outright from now on then? If not, then you'll have to factor that additional payment in at some point still.

I have a rooted M8 with an unlocked bootloader as well, so I just unlocked the native hotspot with root or install a ROM with it already enabled (pretty much every ROM).

Back