Trying to understand NVME behavior and heatsink compatiblity of Asus x570 Hero

LGabrielPhoto

2[H]4U
Hello!
So finally I get my 5950x tomorrow and I was wondering, I have to NVME...a Samsung 970 (non pro just regular) and an Inland. Both 1TB. I was going to install my OS on the 1TB as it currently is on my PC.
I am also considering a SB-ROCKET-NVMe4-HTSK-2TB) to upgrade to 2TB. I was wondering first, which nvme slot is better for my OS drive...IF there is a difference. Also, it seems that if I wanted to get an NVME with its own heatsink, only the bottom NVME slot could be used based on how the stock heatink is design?
I will be using around 6 Sata drives (maybe 7)...will that have any effect on my NVME speeds too?
I always get confused with all the sharing lanes stuff. LOL
Thank you!

In theory the top NVME drive is better for your OS because that's the one that's always directly connected to your processor.
However, from my own experience, it doesn't matter.

For the rest of the questions, you can always just not reattach the asus heatsink and use what the drive comes with, personal preference on that one, or at least whichever you think would cool better.

Also, as someone who has 7 SATA drives and 4x nvmes in my system currently, on X570 there should be absolutely no performance change from using all your SATA drives.

X570 has 24x lanes total and if you're using two nvme, it'll likely be:
4x for NVME 1
4x for NVME 2
16x lanes for Graphics Card

In theory the top NVME drive is better for your OS because that's the one that's always directly connected to your processor.
However, from my own experience, it doesn't matter.

For the rest of the questions, you can always just not reattach the asus heatsink and use what the drive comes with, personal preference on that one, or at least whichever you think would cool better.

Also, as someone who has 7 SATA drives and 4x nvmes in my system currently, on X570 there should be absolutely no performance change from using all your SATA drives.

X570 has 24x lanes total and if you're using two nvme, it'll likely be:
4x for NVME 1
4x for NVME 2
16x lanes for Graphics Card
Thanks for the info. How are you doing 4 x nvme...I think your mobo has 2? Like a riser card?

Which card? Just in case I decide to do the same since I want to get a 2TB but my mobo only has 2 slots.
https://smile.amazon.com/RIITOP-PCI...VXKSDWN5QC6&psc=1&refRID=383D9CPTDVXKSDWN5QC6
One of these, its generic and there's a dozen different brand names for the same thing. It's basically just a dumb board that extends the traces with a heatsink attached and not much else.
I've used them a few times, its convenient.

There are better ones if you're trying to go fancy and i'm not sure if this will work with a PCI-E 4.0 SSD, I'm using it for a Sabrent Rocket 1TB QLC, which is good enough for my purposes.

Back