Trying to set up cheap HTPC...need a little help.

• Thread starter Deleted member 147607
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 147607

Like the title says...I need a little help setting up my first HTPC.

I'm not looking to do anything super fancy, I'd just like to be able to surf the net from my television, play DVD's, and watch my old classic movies. I'm a big fan of film noir and I've got about 300 flicks. Most of them are in 480p with the rare movie in 720p.

Beyond this....if there was some streaming I could do from online sources of television shows and perhaps some movies, I'd be up for that as well. We only have OTA and a Roku as of now.

Here are the parts I've gathered over the last year or so from tearing down other peoples old pc's...so I don't have anything invested - yet. Although....I need a case and I don't know exactly what video card to buy other than I do need one that has hdmi because it's the only input my television has. I'm also not too sure if audio is transferred through hdmi or do I need some sort of audio cable?

At any rate...here are the parts I've accumulated.

ASUS IPIBL-LA LGA 775 motherboard - pulled from an HP media m9000t.
Core2Duo e6750
Samsung DVD burner
4x1GB's of Hynix DDR2 800
Seasonic SS-350ET
Logitech K400 Keyboard/mousepad
40GB X25-V Intel SSD
250GB Western Digital Blue 2.5"

If the above parts 'are' even up to the task...as mentioned, I would still need a video card and a case. I'm working with a very tight budget, so please keep that in mind if you're offering suggestions. I like the Silverstone ML03B...at least that's about the size I'd like to use, but the USB's on the front of it are only USB3. If you know any alternatives, I'm listening...;).

As far as software goes, I've read around the web quite a bit and there seems to be a lot of opinions on what's best. I was ready to give WMC a try, but I only have a copy of Vista Ultimate that has a product key. I don't have any Windows 7 copies lying around and I read alot of people commenting that WMC works much much better in Windows 7 vs. Vista. So...not sure what to do there. Although, I'm pretty familiar with linux...would XBMC or maybe MediaPortal be the best for a first attempt at an HTPC? I'm open to any of these, or whatever would be good that might also be noob friendly, but capable of decent expansion...

Appreciate any help or suggestions....

Liquid Cool

If you need a video card that is cheap I would say the AMD 5450. They range $20-$30 bucks. Sapphire has a passive cooled model that i use for less noise from fans, and less power used. I've used mine for ~3 ish plus years and it's great.

Looking on newegg you can get the Sapphire card for $29.99 with free shipping and a $10.00 mail in rebate right now. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102882

I use XBMC and it works great. I can't say for WMC as I've never used it.

- my two pennies..

Last edited:
You pretty much have everything you need. You will need a video card like the previous person mentioned. I would spend a little bit more on it though if you can swing it. I wouldn't spend too much on the case. If it sits with your other components just make sure the front of it looks decent and you have enough fans for ventilation.

If you are short on cash then you can try out the images of XBMC. You won't need Windows to run it. When you get more money later if you want to switch over to Windows you can do so at that time. In the meantime here you go.

Thank you both for your comments...:)

So....it looks like the video card requirements aren't very stiff here and while I'd like a better card...I simply can't afford it.

Although...a question arises with buying the HD5450, how nice would it play with XBMC in ubuntu? I've heard AMD linux support is pathetic...so I mostly have shied away from buying AMD cards when I'm using linux.

Would an eVGA 210 be a decent alternative if I went that route?

Secondly...would it be better if I installed Vista and then loaded XBMC for windows? Would support for different formats be better?

Looking at both video cards, I'd probably prefer the HD5450....just wondering if compatibility issues would arise from going this route and using XBMC under ubuntu's hood.

Best,

LC

P.S. if anyone runs into a decent black case for cheap, please speak up...:). I don't have any other components...so it will be sitting all alone.

Honestly, your cheapest option would be a Pi.
Since you're not doing full bitrate bluray rips, you won't run into any problems.

I'd sell most of your old equipment and get a pi, or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...3135368&cm_re=thin_itx-_-13-135-368-_-Product, pick up 2gb of ddr3 laptop ram (people can't give that away), throw xbmc on the 40gb intel drive or a thumb drive and you're set.

And then there's plex/mediabrowser fun... but start with that.

I have one HTPC that uses a celeron sandy bridge and intel hd graphics and another using the amd 5150 budget quad and onboard graphics

Either one works. both run you about $50 for mobo/cpu combo.

your parts machine is probably faster, you may not even need anything more then intel graphics, but if you do I would stick to amd. Like the other said a 5450 or 6450.

I could be wrong but I remember hearing that the 5450 is the oldest card that will work in windows 8 with full hardware accel but uses a generic driver. The 6450 takes advantage of the newer catalyst drivers.

Although...a question arises with buying the HD5450, how nice would it play with XBMC in ubuntu? I've heard AMD linux support is pathetic...so I mostly have shied away from buying AMD cards when I'm using linux.

Would an eVGA 210 be a decent alternative if I went that route?

The reason why you might want to spend more on the video isn't because a 5450 won't work it will (ikewise a Nvidia 430 would work as well which is what I have but it's not entry level, which is the rub), the problem with entry level is that it's just enough power but not anything more than that. I always go at least one step up to provide a little bit of a buffer. But that's just me.

Secondly...would it be better if I installed Vista and then loaded XBMC for windows? Would support for different formats be better?
Windows basically brings native support / an easier time of supporting protected formats. Other than that though I find Linux easier to stand up out of the box.

Looking at both video cards, I'd probably prefer the HD5450....just wondering if compatibility issues would arise from going this route and using XBMC under ubuntu's hood.

You should be OK at this point as VAAPI has become pretty stable now. I did test it on an Athlon 5350 and had zero issues with playback.

P.S. if anyone runs into a decent black case for cheap, please speak up...:). I don't have any other components...so it will be sitting all alone.

I might .. waiting for some parts to come in.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys...:)

I have thought about going down the raspberry pi path...I even looked at the android boxes, I kind of liked the looks of the new Minix Neo x8, but I really don't want to use android and I already have the parts I'd like to use.

I agree with all of your sentiments on the video card. Especially kac77's comments about not purchasing something that is 'just enough', but have a little extra video power in reserve if needed...I also have a real problem with purchasing a $30 card that doesn't have much too it...when I purchased a new GTS 450 on eBay for $45 and it plays every game in my steam account without a problem.

I'm going to look around for better options...whether used or new I don't care as long as it has an HDMI output and perhaps low profile. I don't have a case yet so I can still go either way, although I was leaning towards a low profile case, I may just change my mind here. Any '$50 and under' suggestions appreciated.

kac77 what's the case you might have available, I'd be interested in taking a look. Low profile or regular?

Best,

LC

Back again...

I've been looking at video cards this morning and I don't see how this 'isn't' the best bang for the buck...I could even do some light gaming. Although...it would take me out of the low profile category...I'm thinking it over...no rush.

GTS 450 from eBay

I've never used a mini-hdmi to hdmi cable before...after looking at the specs, it 'appears' to carry audio over the cable but doesn't come right out and say it(unless 'internal' means yes)...so I'm not 100% sure. Anyone have any experience with these?

nVidia GeForce GTS 450 Specifications

It's probably either this, or a low profile GT 430, I saw them for a little above the price I'd have to pay for the 210/HD 5450.

nVidia Geforce GT 430

It might just depend on what case I end up with...:)

LC

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Another option you have instead of XBMC is OpenELEC. It is XBMC, wrapped up in a lite Linux install/OS, specifically designed to run XBMC.

XBMC can be tricky to set up, especially if you are using remotes and your remote is not natively supported (note: I haven't had this issue since XBMC Eden). OpenELEC just works. It is a tiny install at ~125MB, and worked perfectly with everything right out of the box.

Kelvarr...

Almost scary...I was 'just' reading about OPENelec on Distrowatch. I was trying to figure out if it's a full blown os(so I can also get on the web if needed), or if I would be better off going with mint/ubuntu etc. Why I was wondering is that I saw a couple of comments that OPENelec is supposed to help in giving the 'set top box' feel...and I didn't know if your only option is to boot directly into XBMC with a small light os underpinning it.

When doing research...every thread I went through, someone comments about OPENelec. Across the board comments we're always positive.

I have decided to go Linux...as mentioned...I only have a Vista key which is quite old, but probably doable in a pinch, or go with a more modern linux os. I'm very familiar with the Ubuntu/Mint landscape, or should I say more familiar...I actually use Ubuntu+Gnome(14.04.1/3.10) on my main pc.

As of now, no remote. I only have the logitech k400.

Best,

LC

Last edited by a moderator:
OpenELEC is a full blown OS, to the extent that it is modified to be an appliance, and the 'set top box' feel you noted. If you want a machine in which you can web browse also, I seemed to run into a minimal install of Ubuntu + XBMC as a very good setup also.

Thanks for the mention of XBMCbuntu, I forgot about it and while checking into it...I ran into GeexBoX. I'll load them all on flash drives this weekend and check them out. Although, I'm actually hoping XBMCbuntu works well...from reading a few articles it was based on Lubuntu which I'm also a fan of. Not to mention Xubuntu too. Nice and lightweight...but fully functioning.

Went ahead and purchased the GT 430 after reading a few reviews to get a feel for the card. Think it will serve the purpose I intend to use it for. Plus it still gives me a low profile option for cases if I end up going that route. Got it for 29(+5.95 sh), that guy on eBay is pretty lenient on pricing, I've purchased from him before.

Ran into these today as well...:)

SteamOS Beta 126 Better Handles XBMC

XBMC Is Being Renamed To "Kodi"

When I get everything in I'm going to add pictures, any thread is boring without pics...

Have a GREAT weekend,

Liquid Cool

Back