Trying to pick what RPG to play

Which game?

• Total voters

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
Been going through the list of games i have wanted to play. Some new some old.

Started Risen and its unbelievably BORING although i just finally made it out of harbor town so i suppose it may get better.

I have the Witcher EE, Two worlds 2, Divinity 2, DKS.

Does risen get better (Like, a LOT better?) or should i start one of these?

I'd say Divinity 2 or Two Worlds 2. If you got bored of Risen that quick, Witcher is probably a bigger snoozer... I know so many people swear by that game, but my god did it bore me to death.

I'd say Divinity 2 or Two Worlds 2. If you got bored of Risen that quick, Witcher is probably a bigger snoozer... I know so many people swear by that game, but my god did it bore me to death.

Thing is i made it about 20 hours into it when it was fairly new and lost my save because i reinstalled windows and failed to back it up. Just have not worked up the motivation to start again but picked up the EE real cheap and want to soon. I liked what i had played so far.

Sadly i have a very long list of games i never completed for the same reasons. :p Back in the windows XP reinstall every 6 month days i lost tons of save files.

Risen just felt like a damn MMO with the back and forth questing.

Been going through the list of games i have wanted to play. Some new some old.

Started Risen and its unbelievably BORING although i just finally made it out of harbor town so i suppose it may get better.

I have the Witcher EE, Two worlds 2, Divinity 2, DKS.

Does risen get better (Like, a LOT better?) or should i start one of these?

Leaving Harbor Town was the end of Act1 if I remember correctly. Act 2 of Risen will have you explore pretty much every single area in the island which I enjoyed a lot. However, if you don't like it by now, odds are you won't like the rest of the game (which has 4 acts in total, but the last 2 are not very good).

Play The Witcher next. It's a great game.

Meh, I am an RPG junkie but wasn't blown away by the witcher EE. It wasn't horrible, just didn't live up to the hype. No matter which control scheme I used, it just didn't feel "right".

Wasn't a bad game, just don't expect a top 10 RPG.

Dragon Knight Saga is quite underrated. I don't know what the original Divine Divinity 2 was like, but the remastered version with it's integrated expansion was a great experience. Enough so that I just bought Divine Divinity 1 on GOG.com recently. The combat isn't the best at early levels but after a while it can feel pretty fun.

The Witcher is good too. I liked the combat slightly less (but it wasn't bad). The story is great.

Last edited:
I like all the games on the list. Out of those, I think the Witcher and Two Worlds 2 have the most quality.

I'd like to point out that Drakensang: River of Time is finally on Steam now. It's a lot of fun.

Witcher is probably a bigger snoozer... I know so many people swear by that game, but my god did it bore me to death.

I didn't get into either. I think I quit playing within an hour. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance.

If Witcher 2 gets kicks ass reviews, I'll give it a shot.

I read Two Worlds 2 starts off pretty good but gets really terrible halfway through, like the devs phoned it in. And it's still buggy as hell like the first game.

Meh, only RPGs I'm really psyched for are TES V Skyrim, and Dark Souls.

I made it up to a certain point in the Witcher before I got bored. An odd thing, really. I loved the game up through the point where you're in that city. The point when you get transplanted to some other dimension is the point that I lost a lot of interest. I still have the save files, but I don't know that I'll ever get through it. Each time I've gone back I end up quitting after 5 minutes.

Yahtzee is funny but he is a fucking idiot some times. If you have actually played 30 minutes into the witcher you know his rants are all bullshit. Like how he claims you cant get the skulls without researching them... Bullshit

I like his reviews because they are funny but he should not be reviewing PC games or RPGs of any kind because he goes into it hating them and then just bashes the shit out of them without ever actually trying it. Besides portal 2 how many PC games has he ripped to shit just because they are PC games?

To each his own but that "preview" of his was just dumb.

EDIT: Watch his current review and its quite clear he didnt play more than 20 minutes past character creation. He spends the whole review talking right out of his ass.

Last edited:
Yahtzee is funny but he is a fucking idiot some times. If you have actually played 30 minutes into the witcher you know his rants are all bullshit. Like how he claims you cant get the skulls without researching them... Bullshit

I like his reviews because they are funny but he should not be reviewing PC games or RPGs of any kind because he goes into it hating them and then just bashes the shit out of them without ever actually trying it. Besides portal 2 how many PC games has he ripped to shit just because they are PC games?

To each his own but that "preview" of his was just dumb.

EDIT: Watch his current review and its quite clear he didnt play more than 20 minutes past character creation. He spends the whole review talking right out of his ass.

The Witcher did have a little bit of a learning curve and the combat was click based but the storyline at least what I played of it was well done. I haven't really focused on it lately though but may play it later.

I always thought you had to be a witcher fan (read the novels etc.) to like the storyline... because it was incredibly boring and bland to me.

There was a Witcher manual that needed reading? I just played it off steam without bothering to check if there was some documentation. The learning curve is not that steep. After the first couple hours, there isn't really any more 'curve.' Sounds like the guy hates anything that isn't dumbed down.

For me the Witcher was one RPG that I could easily walk away from. I had better bed times than with other games. It wasn't addicting. Still, I had fun and the story was well done. If you are an "RPG player" than this is one you shouldn't miss. And from the sounds of the coming of the Witcher 2, you definitely want to get a play through in first.

Last edited:
I could understand how a game gets better once you get a couple hours in, but honestly, I couldn't get past the first 45 minutes of the Witcher. Call me infantile, but a good story should be good from the beginning to end. It's not good if you have to sit through an hour of crap before it gets good.

I can see how people would like this, but I couldn't get into it. Oh well.

There was a Witcher manual that needed reading? I just played it off steam without bothering to check if there was some documentation. The learning curve is not that steep. After the first couple hours, there isn't really any more 'curve.'
It actually took me a good while to figure out the combat scheme, but once I had that down, it was smooth sailing.

Back