Trying to install Win Server 2008R2 or 2012

I have a Dell 2800 that I am trying to load Windows Server onto. I am getting stuck at how to install it though. I found the Dell support page and can change the OS driver page to at most 2008 x64 bit

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/ServiceTag/dm2pz61

I am at the Windows Server 2012 load Windows screen for selecting which drive to install the OS to. I want to try the 2008 x 64 bit drivers for 2012.

This is my first time installing a server OS to this chassis. I believe this Dell has a SAS RAID. I don't know if it is called PERC or not.
What, from the download page, do I need to download to be able to have Windows see the C: and install?

the Dell support site will show what hardware originally shipped with the system, based on the service tag.
also during startup, the storage controller should appear after the BIOS loads.

download the latest OpenManage bootable iso for the drivers and setup utility. also Windows 2012 may already include the drivers for your hardware

Last edited:
I am brand new to Dell support, so I am having a tough time finding what you recommended.

Is this it?

Dell OpenManage Connection for IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus, v.1.0, 54_A00
The Dell OpenManage Connection 1.0 for IBM Tivoli Netcool/OMNIbus 7.3.1 provides event monitoring capabilities for Dell servers and EqualLogic storage devices.

at:
http://downloads.dell.com/Pages/Drivers/poweredge-2800.html#Systems Management

Unfortunately, Server 2012 does not have the drivers. :(

With the help of a friend, I was able to download and use this download:

Dell CD ISO - Installation and Server Management, v.5.2.0, A00

Even though there are drivers available for 2008 R2, when I ran the OMA install, I only had the options for Server 2003 and 2003 x 64 bit.

How else can I try to get 2008 R2 on it?

I've been digging and found that the SCSI card is an Adaptec SCSI Card 39160

I can find drivers for Server 2003, 2008, and 2008 x64.

Anyone know of a compatible driver for 2008 r2 x64 or 2012 same?

card might not be supported in 2012 or 2008R2..
I had the same issue with some supermicro motherboards...onboard scsi worked with 2008/vista but not 7/2008R2

Chances are the r2 driver should work on 2012.

This. I was able to install Server 2012 Hyper-V Core on a whitebox server that had an Adaptec 12xx series SATA RAID controller. Used the Windows Server 2003 x64 drivers and it worked. Had to put them on a USB thumbdrive and when the install asked for additional drivers to be loaded, pointed to the server and the installer saw the drive space available.

I've been digging and found that the SCSI card is an Adaptec SCSI Card 39160

I can find drivers for Server 2003, 2008, and 2008 x64.

Anyone know of a compatible driver for 2008 r2 x64 or 2012 same?

If I am not mistaken Windows Server 2008 R2 only came in x64 variant (no x86/32-bit). So any Server 2008 x64 driver should load in R2 and quite possibly in 2012. 2003 x64 drivers might also work.

Dell open management is definitely the way to go to install a server OS on a Poweredge system. A newer version of the software will have the options for 2008r2. Not sure what the latest version is. I have a bunch of them and looks like the latest one I have is version 7.

I did try the Dell Open Manage software and the only option that it gave me during the install was to put in the Server 2003 disc.

I also tried the R2 drivers and the installation screen that prompts for drivers could not find them on a USB drive. I read somewhere that the issue might be that they are not digitaly signed, could that be a reason why they did not work?

I thought I had the right track when I found some floppy drivers but when attempting to run and extract to a USB thumb drive, they would not.

Does anyone have a raw driver that should work?

Ah, the times have changed, and didn't even know it.

I have been burning Window's ISO's to DVD. Guess what the 2800 doesn't have? A DVD-rom.

I have a server that sits right above the 2800 that the rail is broken on, thus hiding the light from the facia of the cd-rom. So, anyone who has installed Windows off of a DVD, must have replaced that drive.

Doesn't matter though, SBUU told me it was an unsupported system anyway.

:eek::mad:

Eeeks, Dell hardware. Great if you can get what you need at a price you can afford and don't have to worry about the scaling or upgrading your OS in the next 3-5 years (or however long you plan on having the server in service).

I have a Poweredge 2800 running server 2008r2. It originally ran server 2003 as a domain controller. When I got new systems to take over last year, after demoting and then removing it from the domain I used a newer version of the open manage dvd to repartition, format and install 2008r2. Now using it as a second dc among other things.

Back