Trying to install win 10 without creating an re partition

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
I booted off usb win 10 did shift f10 opened a command prompt created primary partition on Nvme 250gb 960evo. Then pointed windows installer to that drive. Message comes up can only install windows to Gpt partition. So I went back to disk part and deleted partition. Is there an easy way to create a GPT partition direct from disk part? Do I have to go out and get some third party utility to do this? This machine HP Ryzen Envy laptop has no os installed. 960 evo in m2 slot and sandisk 960 ssd in sata slot disk part sees both. Both drives have no partitions..... Thanks for any help

You don't need to manually create any partitions at all.

Go back to the installer and go back to disk part and after you select the disk type in clean to completely wipe the drive of initialization. Then close the cmd box and on the screen that ask you where to install, click Unallocated space on the disk and click next. That's it. It initializes the disk at GPT and creates the partitions for you.

If it's creating the partitions as MBR that means your're booting into legacy mode rather than UEFI mode. Make sure on your boot menu you select UEFI: USB Disk (or something similar). If you only see USB Disk on the list then you have legacy/compatibility mode enabled.

Last edited:
What are you really trying to do? Are you trying to eliminate the 2/3/4 little partitions when Windows does it? Because you shouldn't do that, just let Windows partition it the first time out.

yeah also make sure the bios is set correctly, some bios' have the option for 'windows 8 boot mode' 'windows mode' 'compatibility windows mode' ETC

on a particular board i had, it made me choose fast boot + windows 8.1 mode or it wouldnt let me create the partition to install win 10

yes you do if you don't want the windows re partition....
You're right. I'm under the assumption you're not spending hours of time trying to get around the way Microsoft wants the OS setup to save a few hundred MB of space. I guess I was wrong.

I prefer to have my Windows boot manager in a protected partition, but that's just me.

Back