Trying to install a PCIe 16x, wont fit

carrierPigeon

Limp Gawd
I am trying to install a PCIe 16x card into my computer. But, I can't get it to fit. There isn't a lot of clearance between the motherboard and the case (see photo- by the way, the white part in the background is the view through the slot in my case to my radiator [which happened to be in the background]).
The PCIe 16x card piece that's supposed to fit down there bends outward a little (away from the motherboard). Between that and the other side having to hook in, it just wont fit.
IMG_20171109_201708936.jpg

I think he is talking about the tabs on the card not fitting between the motherboard and case.

Maybe loosen up the motherboard screws and shift the board a bit, or bend the tab on the card so it's a bit straighter.
Aha, then yea, ditto what you said.

I think he is talking about the tabs on the card not fitting between the motherboard and case.

Maybe loosen up the motherboard screws and shift the board a bit, or bend the tab on the card so it's a bit straighter.

Yes, i have had to do this in the past to get cards to fit.

thanks for the ideas. It's also possible that the problem is due to my lack of experience in installing expansion cards recently. That being said, I did put a different video card in this computer a couple of months ago.

It does seem like the piece that fits closer to the corner of the case (in other words, opposite side from the side that the screw goes on), is bent and perhaps that's causing the problem. That piece really seems to want to end up on the outside of the case (see photo).

I am curious about the strategy of moving the motherboard as that seems easier than bending the metal on the card. For that, would I just be temporarily moving the motherboard and then I would put it back after install? To me, it seems like it would have to stay in the displaced position.

Attachments

• IMG_20171110_153618070.jpg
    IMG_20171110_153618070.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 62
thanks for the ideas. It's also possible that the problem is due to my lack of experience in installing expansion cards recently. That being said, I did put a different video card in this computer a couple of months ago.

It does seem like the piece that fits closer to the corner of the case (in other words, opposite side from the side that the screw goes on), is bent and perhaps that's causing the problem. That piece really seems to want to end up on the outside of the case (see photo).

I am curious about the strategy of moving the motherboard as that seems easier than bending the metal on the card. For that, would I just be temporarily moving the motherboard and then I would put it back after install? To me, it seems like it would have to stay in the displaced position.
Usually the bottom of the pci slot cover stays inside the case, that seems like something is way off. Hard to see from the pic as it's a little blurry, but I don't think the bottom is supposed to stick outside the case like that.

the tab on the card needs to be bent straight and if there isn't enough room between the board and case youll have to shift the board over a bit. or cut the tab off.

Put the card in by putting the tab side down first, on the inside of the case between the mobo and case. If feels like it won't go into the PCIe slot, then maybe slightly bend that tab.

Usually the bottom of the pci slot cover stays inside the case, that seems like something is way off. Hard to see from the pic as it's a little blurry, but I don't think the bottom is supposed to stick outside the case like that.

Correct, there is no way that tab is supposed to be outside the case. Seems like the tab is bent or OP tried to put it in crooked.

It's bent. You can see that a little in this photo.

On the PCI slot on the motherboard (the side that's more toward the center of the motherboard), it seems like the card has to tuck in there and it seems like that can only be achieved by tucking it in there as the first step (before we handle the side that we are trying to fit into the case). Photo 2 shows the piece that has to tuck in. So one option is to break off the piece that tucks in?

I could first try moving the motherboard and then move the motherboard back after I install it. But, I am skeptical that that will work.

Attachments

• IMG_20171111_232909187_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171111_232909187_HDR.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20171111_232818747.jpg
    IMG_20171111_232818747.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 50
I attempted to remove the motherboard. Here are some annotated photographs with the issue that I ran into.

Attachments

• obstructing piece.jpg
    obstructing piece.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 56
  • screwlike piece.jpg
    screwlike piece.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 54
You don't insert one end of the card into the slot before the other. It goes straight down so that the edge connector slides evenly into the slot on both ends. You may have to push the slot's locking clip into the unlocked position like you would for a memory slot if it's not spring loaded.

put the cards pci bracket on a flat surface and hammer it straight. then it should slide between the board and case. that stupid flimsy metal spacer around the pci slots can be ripped out too.

Sorry about the photos. I need a camera or better phone (or learn how to use it better).

I was able to get the card in now. Just lining it up straight and pushed it in. The thing that threw me off is that in the setup manual that came in the box it said to first first fit one side in and then fit the other side in. Maybe that's how it's done for some motherboards and cases but not for mine. I even called up their support before posting on here and couldn't figure it out after that phone call either.

I also removed a metal piece (see photo). Should I have that piece in between the card and the case? It might be able to fit back in. I had just taken it out when trying various ideas to get the card in.

Windows 10 seems to recognize the new card and I can see in the device manager that the computer recognizes the card for what it is. There is also a tray icon "AMD Radeon Settings." Is there some further testing or adjusting of settings that I should do? I don't have any near term plans to use this card for anything that would push it to its limits, but it would still be good to know that it's working properly.

Attachments

• IMG_20171112_151154018.jpg
    IMG_20171112_151154018.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 54
good, glad you got it in. no you don't need that piece, it just puts a little extra pressure to keep cards tight. if it just installed the windows update driver, id still go get the newest amd driver pack.

What Windows installed has a driver date of 9/22/17. It shows driver version 22.19.677.257.

On the AMD site, there is AMD minimal setup available with a release date of 11/2/17.

Is there merit in just sticking with what Windows installed?

Edit: howtogeek article recommends just sticking with the windows drivers unless you are running into problems or game. They do state that their opinion is controversial, though.

Last edited:
I always try to run the newest available but that's driver isn't that old. so you could leave it if you want. what card is it?

that card doesn't support the new features so you probably wont see any difference.

that card doesn't support the new features so you probably wont see any difference.
Ok. My main motivation for installing the card was because I got it inexpensively on sale and I wanted an HDMI port. My second monitor which I turn on when it's helpful has a really bad picture when using VGA. It's a lower end monitor (except that it did have VGA, DVI-D, and HDMI and VESA) and it has been a pain. The on board video of my computer only has DVI-D and VGA and I like to use the DVI-D with my main monitor. As an aside, I kind of like the duller/ yellowish picture on LCD (which is my main monitor).

Also, I am thinking that down the road I will get a portable touch screen monitor so I can use my computer with a long video cord as a tablet in other somewhat nearby areas of the house. My understanding is that you can just switch Windows 10 into tablet mode and that will work. But, I haven't researched the point.

Also, this video card might support higher resolutions than on board video, if I get a bigger monitor at some point.

A couple of times my computer froze up for a couple of seconds and the Chrome windows went black. So, perhaps that will turn into a motivation to install the new video card drivers.

A couple of times my computer froze up for a couple of seconds and the Chrome windows went black. So, perhaps that will turn into a motivation to install the new video card drivers.
Hell know...That sounds perfect! Enjoy it like it is lol Me i would check the event viewer to see EXACTLY what had an issue when it happened as well

Hell know...That sounds perfect! Enjoy it like it is lol Me i would check the event viewer to see EXACTLY what had an issue when it happened as well
Ok, thanks. I will try out the event viewer and see if I can get to the bottom of this.
I was actually having these symptoms a lot in 2015, at which point someone was telling me that it could be the hard drive. There might have been some other symptoms, too, I can't remember completely. So, I replaced the hard drive. Just recently, I hooked up the backup hard drive as a secondary drive. So, maybe that drive is contributing to the problem. It's not a very old drive, and I have used it very little. Probably only used it for a year. I am looking at a spec sheet for my computer but it doesn't say what model this hard drive is.

Back