Trying to get back into the graphics performance/quality race...

E4g1e

Supreme [H]ardness
I am tempted to get myself an 8800GT for my current main rig (which for now still has a 7800GT). I will be planning to play a few of the newer games, such as Crysis, in the near future. I have been falling off the gaming bandwagon, using my main rig almost exclusively for web surfing and video editing.

The question is:

Is the 8800GT really superior enough to the 7800GT to be worth the $250+ investment?

On the other hand, here is the second question (which I want to avoid, but I am asking anyway):

If I continue to keep using my current main rig for my current use of video editing and web surfing, which card would have been the most appropriate choice (besides my current 7800GT)?

I would really appreciate your responses.

E4g1e

I just upgraded from 7800GT SLi to single 8800GT and the increase in performance is amazing, easily twice as fast as the 2 7800GT's probably even more. I now run TF2 with everything maxed and 4xaa 8xaf at 1900x1220 and it runs over 100FPS lol

integrated would work for your orginal needs

and yesm an 8800GT would "perform" better over all at everything and also be able to do it with higher resolutions and more eye candy.

i was justusing it as a comparison as to what you would need for it, in that anything would work for that specific need, so any card in your budget would work fine.

An 8400/8500GT would do fine for web surfing and video editing, and give you HD decoding in hardware as well. They can be had for $50 or less AR.

You can run Crysis at low settings depending on your CPU. I say don't upgrade unless you want to start playing Next-Gen games.

Back