Trying to find an old fan type!!

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
It was unlike any current fans that have the motor in the center. This fan used magnets on the outside of the blades to spin. Had nearly no dead zone because of this. I remember it had a silver outer cover and that it only came in 70mm originally though an 80mm was released later.

Anyone know what I am talking about?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not believe he is talk about the maglev bearing type but a whole different kind of fan with the motor/support being at the edge (or what should be) of the blades.

Correct. There were 4 "motors" on outside ring. But I still cannot remember the name. came out in 2000~ I thhink.

I believe you're thinking of the TMD fans (Tip Magnetic Drive) which had the windings for the motor in the housing of the fan and the magnet on a ring around the edge of the fan blade. Made for a smaller central hub since there was only a bearing there.

I believe you're thinking of the TMD fans (Tip Magnetic Drive) which had the windings for the motor in the housing of the fan and the magnet on a ring around the edge of the fan blade. Made for a smaller central hub since there was only a bearing there.

that's them! Seems they never did catch on :(.

Back