Trying to figure out what exactly Comcast meant...

ghostchamber

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a friend from work who occasionally has me over to work on a computer or two. They're a very computer illiterate household (by their own admission), so I've become their unofficial IT guy.

Anyway, she called me last week because she was confused about what a Comcast employee told her. Her mother passed away a few months ago, and she wants to set up internet access at her mother's house (she has to spend quite a bit of time there ... long story). She got a hand-me-down computer that is pretty old (Windows 98), but still seems to function fine. She wasn't sure what exactly to do with it for setting up (internet access and just plugging everything in), so Comcast sent a technician, telling her he'd be able to set up the computer and the internet access.

The technician arrived, took one look at the computer and told her he couldn't set it up. He said he can't do it because it is Windows 98, and she needed Windows XP. He said it wouldn't work with Windows 98, and that she need to go to Wal-Mart and buy a copy of XP. He also told her to just put in the disc and do what it says.

I've got a few problems with this (sort of going off-topic here):

1. I'd never have someone who knows nothing about computers install an operating system.

2. He didn't actually look at the hardware to determine if she could even run XP (she can, but just barely).

3. He told her to buy XP when it is mere weeks away from being unavailable.

4. High-speed internet is fully functional on Windows 98 (unless there's something someone isn't telling me).

So my question is this: Anyone know why he said Windows XP is required for this? My
guess is because the Comcast software won't run on Windows 98 (which also makes me wonder if he knows you don't need the software), but I'm wondering if this technician is really just clueless.

I told her to order the "start-up kit" and I'd set it up (I already orderd a NIC for her). But supposedly they still have to come to the house anyway, so I'm going to attempt to be there so I can ask them what the hell they're thinking.

I'd tell them to just hook up the modem, verify it works, and you'll do the rest. There's no reason to require windows XP

You do not need Comcasts software.
They just don't "support" outdated operating systems anymore...this is standard with most IT support....can't blame them.
Technically Win98 will work just fine. TCP is TCP, obtain from DHCP server is the same. However....I highly recommend you get a router. Pluggin an PC with any OS directly into a cable modem (and many DSL modems) will result it the PC obtaining a public IP address. This means it's read end is sitting out on the internet wide open with vaseline on it..ready to be...err....pillaged. :eek:

Get a broadband router.
Power off modem
Plug routers WAN/Internet port into the modem.
Set computers TCP/IP to "Obtain Auto"
Power up router
Power up modem....once modem "synchs up"...power cycled router again.
Boot up PC...should be able to surf the net now.

I don't think it would be a good idea to surf the internet using Win98, even behind a "firewall". It will work, but, there has not been any patches for Win98 a while. It is an easy target for malicious code embedded into website that would take advantage of un-patched systems. Maybe try installing unbuntu linux 8.04. If all you are using the computer for is internet surfing and email, ubuntu should work fine (or any other distro). It is easy to install and use and best of all, it is FREE :D. Just thought I would throw that out there.

I used to provide some support to a friend of my Dad's years ago back home. He had a lawyer guy that he wanted me to do a cable internet and wireless setup. He was running win98 and I told him it was a bad idea. He said the gentleman was too old to learn XP, and I told him I'd be back in 6 months wiping off all the virii. This install had a NAT firewall and all that.

Within 6 months the guy called me directly with so many virii and spyware I scrapped the OS. I ended up upgrading to XP and never had a problem with it again.

Windows 98 has the broken DHCP. If you ever give it a different address, you have to remove TCP/IP and reinstall it, and after the second go-round, you have to reinstall the whole OS. To say nothing of the security nightmares.

Windows 98 has the broken DHCP. If you ever give it a different address, you have to remove TCP/IP and reinstall it, and after the second go-round, you have to reinstall the whole OS. To say nothing of the security nightmares.

??? In the thousands of Win9X boxes I've supported...I never ran across that. And I've never had to reinstall the whole OS even on a tanked TCP stack....it was relatively easy to uninstall/reinstall just the TCP stack. Often just installing DUN 1.4 fixed all...which should have been standard practice for any IT person supporting 9X.

I've got a friend from work who occasionally has me over to work on a computer or two. They're a very computer illiterate household (by their own admission), so I've become their unofficial IT guy.

Anyway, she called me last week because she was confused about what a Comcast employee told her. Her mother passed away a few months ago, and she wants to set up internet access at her mother's house (she has to spend quite a bit of time there ... long story). She got a hand-me-down computer that is pretty old (Windows 98), but still seems to function fine. She wasn't sure what exactly to do with it for setting up (internet access and just plugging everything in), so Comcast sent a technician, telling her he'd be able to set up the computer and the internet access.

The technician arrived, took one look at the computer and told her he couldn't set it up. He said he can't do it because it is Windows 98, and she needed Windows XP. He said it wouldn't work with Windows 98, and that she need to go to Wal-Mart and buy a copy of XP. He also told her to just put in the disc and do what it says.

I've got a few problems with this (sort of going off-topic here):

1. I'd never have someone who knows nothing about computers install an operating system.

2. He didn't actually look at the hardware to determine if she could even run XP (she can, but just barely).

3. He told her to buy XP when it is mere weeks away from being unavailable.

4. High-speed internet is fully functional on Windows 98 (unless there's something someone isn't telling me).

So my question is this: Anyone know why he said Windows XP is required for this? My
guess is because the Comcast software won't run on Windows 98 (which also makes me wonder if he knows you don't need the software), but I'm wondering if this technician is really just clueless.

I told her to order the "start-up kit" and I'd set it up (I already orderd a NIC for her). But supposedly they still have to come to the house anyway, so I'm going to attempt to be there so I can ask them what the hell they're thinking.

they dont have to come to the house unless the physical line is disconnected....they dont have to set foot in her house, i have had Comcast provision several modems over the phone for me, no software, no tech, no nothing, as long as you have an active account at that address all she has to do is call and get them to provision the modem, done

they dont have to come to the house unless the physical line is disconnected....they dont have to set foot in her house, i have had Comcast provision several modems over the phone for me, no software, no tech, no nothing, as long as you have an active account at that address all she has to do is call and get them to provision the modem, done

Yup! Pickup your own modem....read the MAC over to them...10 minutes later...done...BAM....enjoy powerboost!

Yup! Pickup your own modem....read the MAC over to them...10 minutes later...done...BAM....enjoy powerboost!

If you're lucky...

When I bought my current house, I had Comcast come out and hook me up for Digital Cable and bring a self-install kit for their internet service. Obviously, I wasn't going to install their software so I called them up to activate it. 3 phone calls and 2 days later, I had connectivity.

The other time I had them do this, it only took a few minutes so I guess I'm 50/50 at this point.

The other time I had them do this, it only took a few minutes so I guess I'm 50/50 at this point.

Probably near a couple of dozen times for clients....so far all good. I gotta say..of alllll the ISPs I deal with..their support is quickest and easiest for me.

??? In the thousands of Win9X boxes I've supported...I never ran across that. And I've never had to reinstall the whole OS even on a tanked TCP stack....it was relatively easy to uninstall/reinstall just the TCP stack. Often just installing DUN 1.4 fixed all...which should have been standard practice for any IT person supporting 9X.

QFT, R and R'd DUN, TCP....pretty much everything countless times doing dial up support back in the day, never had to re install the OS because of it

win 98 is the worst os ever.
Wrong. :D
worst-windows.jpg

I didn't read a lot of the thread, but when I worked for Charter, we had similar rules. We could not install internet on a computer with Windows XP or had less than 256mb RAM. We had no special software to install, just provision the modem and hook up an ethernet cable. The reason we did not do it is to cut out the tech support calls for "my internet is slow. can you send someone out?" It costed the company money because of the people calling tech support and even more money from the unnecessary service call when it's their old outdated hardware / software. I totally understand the Comcast tech's reasoning behind what was said.

that cant be right. win 98 was so much worse than 95, 95 was stable. i know everyone says ME, idk, using both id say 98 was worse(so bad they had to release win 98 SE!)

I ran/did run/could run win98FE very heavily tweaked and stable,
2 concurrent firewalls
1 or two concurrent antivirus
dual booting with Freebsd. Rans/runs almost as well as Freebsd.
past tense above because it is currently o/s because of the installed physical memory
only ran it one day a week for usenet though.
and the hours spent to get it upto speed would nowadays be spent better on
another os like Freebsd or...
re-reading some posts in this thread though, when I got dsl I spent hours trying
to find a pppoe.conf or equivalent for the self-install kit (speakeasy.net) . Discovered
by accident that once the hardware is hooked up, all I needed was an
"ifconfig
and a
"route
command(s) and I am online.

win 98 is the worst os ever.

Well this was a very contributive post. :rolleyes:

Anyways, you don't need to install that garbage that Comcast recommends. Heck, given that you had the proper TCP/IP stacks installed via a patch or 3rd-party software you could even get a computer running MS-DOS or Windows 3.1 connected to the internet connection Comcast provides. However, like one of the posters said above it would be a better idea to install some kind of lite Linux distribution on there for the sake of security. Windows 98 is over the hill and you'll have a hard time finding recent and decent firewall and anti-virus software that will support this operating system.

Oh, and if she has to use Windows software, give WINE a try :D since they've finally hit 1.0. Either that or use a dual-boot setup so internet activities can be done in Linux and other offline stuff can be done in Windows (in other words, disable anything that has to do with networking in Windows 98).

Thats kinda funny. I used to work at Comcast about a year ago and most of our technicians used to tell the same thing to people with W98. I think it's not the point that it wouldn't work, its just that they see W98 and they think slow computer and they didn't want to be there for that long.

Thats kinda funny. I used to work at Comcast about a year ago and most of our technicians used to tell the same thing to people with W98. I think it's not the point that it wouldn't work, its just that they see W98 and they think slow computer and they didn't want to be there for that long.

that or it could be comcast had a company policy to avoid Win98 because the customer might complain about slower than usual speed when it's actually the pc not able to move fast enough, not their network

i've got to rant about this for a second.

i recently got comcast and the tech installed their software. jeez what bloat... several things annoyed me. stupid software to "keep me up to date" and "check for problems". ie said "Windows Internet Explorer provided by Comcast" etc

i've got to rant about this for a second.

i recently got comcast and the tech installed their software. jeez what bloat... several things annoyed me. stupid software to "keep me up to date" and "check for problems". ie said "Windows Internet Explorer provided by Comcast" etc

yeah, now you know, never pay a cable company to install your broadband, all they need to do is hook up the line outside, once that is done call them up, tell them you need your new cable modem provisioned manually, read them the MAC ID number on it, power up or down as they ask you to and bam, you are connected with no bloatware

Back