Trying to do what everyone says not to

memphist0

Gawd
I am trying to combine a 64GB kit (2x32 Hynix M die) and a 32GB kit (2x16 Micron E die) on a Ryzen 3900x and X470 motherboard. I can get either kit to run independently or both kits if I drop frequency down to 2400MHz. I know I had read before there were specific timing to increase to allow 4 higher capacity sticks to work at higher frequencies.

Anybody have some suggestions? I do know it is not the 4 primary timings, it is something in the sub timings.

Thanks

It would help to know the speed of each kit, but even then, yep a bad idea.

I know it will not run at XMP but they should run somewhere below that. And I have them so might as while try to utilize them.

The 64GB is PC3200 CL 16 The 32GB is also PC3200 CL16. XMP profiles are very different for both but I felt if I went with the more relaxed timings it should work 🤷‍♂️

I know in the server world we can usually math as long as we go with the slowest settings. And I think I have done it before with DDR2 and DDR3

If you figure it out, let us know. I'm pessimistic: 4 sticks with Ryzen, mismatched speeds, mismatched chip types, 32GB sticks in an X470 motherboard and BIOS. Have you tried putting the 64's on one channel and the 32's on the other?

If you figure it out, let us know. I'm pessimistic: 4 sticks with Ryzen, mismatched speeds, mismatched chip types, 32GB sticks in an X470 motherboard and BIOS. Have you tried putting the 64's on one channel and the 32's on the other?
I do think I may be up against a wall trying to stay at 3200. I can get all 4 sticks running at 2400.

I know its not the same amount of memory, but my mixed sticks - 16GB and 32GB, SK Hynix and Samsung chips, was unstable at 3200 and even 3000 in my old X370 board. (They were rated for 3200) In order to get it stable I had to hit XMP and then downclock it to 2800 and mess with a few common timings...it was a chore and a huge pain in the ass.

Exact same memory, exact same CPU, moved it to my X570 board, hit XMP, didn't change a thing past that and haven't had a single memory error since. I know this is anecdotal with a sample size of one, but X570 made a huge difference.

Good Luck.

"Hey everyone I managed to weld two extra wheels onto my car! It doesn't turn that well now and vibrates like hell but...6 wheels muddyfunsters!!!!"

Just because you can... ;)

"Hey everyone I managed to weld two extra wheels onto my car! It doesn't turn that well now and vibrates like hell but...6 wheels muddyfunsters!!!!"

Just because you can... ;)
Hahaha

You've been around here awhile. Don't you remember when overclocking and tweaking was using what you had instead of seeing how much you could spend?

What's the highest speed you can get it at?

Try fixing the following settings:

primary settings
TRC
TRFC
TRP
TFAW

I've noticed my board screwing up TRFCs when booting up different RAM sticks.

I have a kit of 32GB 3200s and a kit of 16 GB 3200s in the same box. (see my 2700X build) that I can't get to 3200.

Doesn't help that that specific board hates RAM in general.

What X470 do you have?

Last edited:
Back