Trying to determine FAH issue or hardware issue

Xrave

Supreme [H]ardness
Recently got a EVGA 1070 and tried FAH with 375.63 and kept crashing, found the Nvidia drivers have a problem with FAH.

Put on 373.06 and avoided the crashing; was able to fold work units like a champ. However when I tried overnight folding I would come back to a black screen/hanging system. Was able to repeat this for a few consecutive nights with driver reinstalls. Checking the event log showed critical system restarts.

When I tried stress testing overnight with gaming benchmarks there was no issue; system still running in the morning. The gaming loops were utilizing close to 100% of the GPU load with the card temps holding at about 74-75C.

Does anyone know if GPU folding is in general "buggy" depending on the card? Main question; anyone have a feeling is this a driver/folding issue or a hardware issue? I'm not familiar enough with FAH to make the judgement. Since gaming seemed to not have a problem I'm leaning towards FAH compatibility issues.

I'd also look at your gpu clocks, what is gaming stable may very well not be folding stable. Try dropping the clock by a 100mhz or so and see how you get on

Tried 372.70, had the same problem after coming back to the system in the morning.

Will tinker with the clock. Is there any advanced setting in FAH that can limit the GPU clock? Or do I need to set that separately?

No, you'll need to use either MSI afterburner or EVGA Precision - they are utilities that can monitor/tweak your graphics cards settings, depending on your graphics card something similar may have shipped on the driver disc.

I had same problem a couple weeks back. Rolling back to 372.70 fixed it but I'm running Superclocked 970/750 combo, not pascal. 373.xx and up seem to have folding problems. My Server still running 353 series driver for the 960/650Ti combo and if it ain't broke on the Server it stays ...

Back