Trying to decide between Prometia Mach I and Vapochill XE. Please help me decide!

PeteWalker74

Limp Gawd
Ok guys, I could really use some advice from some of the well-informed folks here. I will be building a system in 2-3 months, and I was shopping around for cases, etc. now. I haven't decided on the CPU yet, motherboard, etc. But here is the dilemna I have:

Prometia Mach I - $350 + S/H

Everything necessary to use on a P4.

OR

Vapochill XE - $550 + S/H

Which includes:

P4 Socket Kit ($84.00)
Blue LEDs
An extra temp sensor ($28.00)
Temperate Monitor on front of case
2 - Extra 80mm Fans in Front
2 - Extra 50mm Fans in Back
Abit Wire Mod
Extra Front Side Bezel
1- 2oz. tube Dielectric Grease
1 - 1oz. tube DOW Corning Conformal Coating
2 Danger Den Multi-packs Neoprene
comes w/ Original Shipping Box

The condition of each is 100%, from what I've been told, and I just can't decide. I really want to go towards the Mach I, because I can save $200. But is it really $200? I haven't decided on a processor yet, so I don't know which solution would be better. I know Prometia is out of business, but is Vapochill's warranty anything special? I am not savvy enough with phase-change cooling to know what else I need. Guys, please offer whatever advice you can on this. Please put yourself in my place, and let me know what factors I should be looking at.

Thank you so much!

I have a Mach I and I am very satisfied. From what I've heard, vapochills in general have trouble coping with the heat your processor produces (i.e. will change from -30 idle to -15 full load). My mach fluxuates maybe 1 or 2 degrees from idle to full load, it doesn't even notice. Machs run cooler to, at -40 average (i've been lower than that, -49 but it depends on your room temperature).

I say go with the mach, save your money.

Thanks a ton for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I'm just concerned about how I would configure it for a different processor style. How would I buy different heads, if they are out of business?

EDIT: I looked on Ebay, and found a link to a place that sells the different head styles. They are all about $125/$150, making the cost go from $350 to $475/$500 + s/h.

peteyboy23 said:
Thanks a ton for your reply. I really appreciate it.

I'm just concerned about how I would configure it for a different processor style. How would I buy different heads, if they are out of business?

EDIT: I looked on Ebay, and found a link to a place that sells the different head styles. They are all about $125/$150, making the cost go from $350 to $475/$500 + s/h.

Well, it's mounting kits and you can actually make them yourself. I made my own A64 one. Think madshrimp has one for A64 article. I chose Mach I just because it seems more popular and more mods avaialable. One thing though, there could be horrors of shipping damage which seems to happen frequently. (leaks, slow leaks, etc) Either reserve some money for repair or arrange something before hand with seller to make sure you are well covered.
I had "shipping damage" on unit I bought which costed $250 or so to repair/regass with R404, etc (which seller agreed to pay portion of repair cost). Luckily I live in S. Cali and work close by one of the place where they can repair prommy (xtremetekwerkz.com). It might not be as easy for some of you though.

Thanks man. I'll definitely keep that in mind, when I speak to him next.

I'm considering an A64, can't decide between the FX53 and 3800+ though.

Back