Trying to clone from old HDD to ssd. Won't boot.

larciel

n00b
Trying to copy my sister's 6 yrs old PC (Intel pentium) to new amd 3600.

I paid for aomei clone program and cloned whole HDD

Now it wont boot with new AMD system. Error may is
"Reboot and select proper device "

What do I need to do? I believe old HDD was GPT. New ssd, I just checked, is MBR

Attachments

• 20200227_113018.jpg
    20200227_113018.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
It's possible that the old drive was set to IDE and the new drive controller is set to AHCI. In my opinion, given the change in platform and the age difference, I'd spend the two hours doing a clean install. The end result will be a far better system.

It's possible that the old drive was set to IDE and the new drive controller is set to AHCI. In my opinion, given the change in platform and the age difference, I'd spend the two hours doing a clean install. The end result will be a far better system.
Thanks

Problem is that there is a software installed that she needs to use. She cannot find the install file for it and it's not a freeware.

Take the image of the drive with the needed software and mount it in a virtual machine. That may solve your problems.

Fixed it following this cmd

diskpart
select disk 1
select par 1
del par override
create partition EFI size=100
format quick fs=FAT32
assign letter=Z
exit

Next, rebuild BCD, type:
bcdboot D:\Windows /s Z: /f UEFI
mountvol Z: /D

First part is just very hard way of creating a ghost partition to use to push boot data into. I used partition manager to create a Z: drive and used bcdboot

by aomei clone program do you mean backupper? if so something went wrong as ive done dozen of system clones with it. did you use the system/drive clone option with "align for ssd" ticked? did you remove the hdd and connect the ssd in its place? at least you got it going though.

You need to run MBR2GPT in the old machine before cloning the drive, then switch to UEFI boot and clone the drive. Once this is done the drive will be recognized and boot just fine. Either that or see if your UEFI on the new PC has a legacy boot option.

And take a full backup of the old machine before doing the partition table conversion ;)

If you don't mind recloning try using clonezilla and see if that helps. Likely the previous post stated. It sounds like something may have went wrong during the cloning process or partition.

Back