Trying to choose 32GB DDR4 sticks

pillagenburn

[H]ard|Gawd
Im looking for the best 32gb sticks for my use-caese at the best price point. This is desktop ram that will be seeing server usage. Looking for database performance.

So far I'm deciding between a set of:
1. A-Die (I think) Samsung 32gb sticks (M378A4G43AB2-CWE) at 1.2v
2. G.skill ripjaws which uses Hynix at 1.35v.

Both are ddr4 3200 but it seems the g.skill might have better timings (cl16)?

Honestly, the difference in performance is so miniscule that its not gonna matter.
I've had good luck with both of those brands and I'm, funnily, using both Hynix and Samsung in my current rig as a mixed 16x4 set(s).

For a server I think lower power consumption would be better, so go with the 1.2v kit. The difference in performance would be miniscule.

Reactions: E4g1e
like this
For a server I think lower power consumption would be better, so go with the 1.2v kit. The difference in performance would be miniscule.
This. I have tested DDR4-3200 RAM at both CL16 and CL22 personally, and found performance differences that are way, way less than the difference in CL timings would indicate. And this is for workstation use.

Furthermore, some motherboards that are used as server boards do not support XMP at all, and thus that G.Skill RAM may run at only DDR4-2133 or DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666 speed at loose CL15, CL18 or CL19 timings on such motherboards.

In other words, enthusiast "DDR4-3200" RAM that runs at low CAS latencies at higher voltages is not worth the trouble for most people, and on some systems may indeed perform worse than JEDEC-standard DDR4-3200 RAM.

This. I have tested DDR4-3200 RAM at both CL16 and CL22 personally, and found performance differences that are way, way less than the difference in CL timings would indicate. And this is for workstation use.

Furthermore, some motherboards that are used as server boards do not support XMP at all, and thus that G.Skill RAM may run at only DDR4-2133 or DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666 speed at loose CL15, CL18 or CL19 timings on such motherboards.

In other words, enthusiast "DDR4-3200" RAM that runs at low CAS latencies at higher voltages is not worth the trouble for most people, and on some systems may indeed perform worse than JEDEC-standard DDR4-3200 RAM.

I've run into that issue on an Elitedesk.

I've decided to go a different route and get an Epyc setup. In the meantime I've got an old Quanta Winterfell sled with a V3 Xeon and scored 512GB DDR3 (16x32GB sticks) for $375. I've thought about sticking dual 18-core CPU's on it but haven't decided because I'd likely have to upgrade the heatsinks too. I wish there were a better case for this thing.

The power difference will probably be less than 1w per stick but that adds up in a server with 16 sticks.
Performance wise it depends on the programs being used the performance difference can be anywhere from nothing to around 10% higher CPU performance.
So depending on the load faster RAM with a higher v may actually be more efficient under a sustained load but not if there is a lot of idle time or if the software doesn't benefit.
Also the larger the CPU cache the less likely RAM speed is to make a difference to performance.

Last edited:
The power difference will probably be less than 1w per stick but that adds up in a server with 16 sticks.
Performance wise it depends on the programs being used the performance difference can be anywhere from nothing to around 10% higher CPU performance.
So depending on the load faster RAM with a higher v may actually be more efficient under a sustained load but not if there is a lot of idle time or if the software doesn't benefit.
Also the larger the CPU cache the less likely RAM speed is to make a difference to performance.
This would be mostly database stuff. Tableau also (which is mostly just database stuff)

Using it for a server and not going with ECC ram? Must be your data isn’t crucial?
This is (mostly) a test environment to spin up VM's and flog databases relentlessly.

I managed to grab a Quanta Winterfell sled a few years back when you could still get them and they were cheap. I scored 512GB of ECC DDR3 for $375 and have a pair of DDR3-compatible 10-core Xeon v3 CPU's on it (also cheap) but I could go to dual 18-core. I think that this will be OK for the time being until I can sell my current rig and get an Epyc setup.

Back