trying to break my new P4c3.2

ghost6303

2[H]4U
i just bought a new P4 3.2ghz/800mhz a new ASUS P4C800 Delux and 2x512mb Corsair XMS pc4000. normaly the bus speed is 4x200 (800mhz) but i wanted to use the full potential of my ram and see how fast my processor can go (temps are not an issue i have a great water system) i pushed the bus to 250 with a 1:1 ratio and the system wont boot. its not that its a voltage/temp problem, its that windows wont load because it cant find some file and it says to try repairing it. so i droped the bus down to 240 and booted fine and stable, even when i took it up to 245, with a little voltage boost it was fine. has anyone heard of this before/know how to fix it? i would like to get past the 4ghz barrier, which would be easy as pie if i could get past this software bug. im running stock right now, but il probly mess with it tonight, il post some screenshots of some benches. any info would be great

Am error like that usually means the memory or proc is too high...when windows looks for the file it is either corrupt in the ram or the processor has an error when executing it...or something leading up to it.

sounds like ram timings to me

be careful, when that happened to me my registry got corrputed. windows was completely toasted

do you have sata raid?
yea i got primary 250gig sata hd on the normal serial controler, then a 400gig storage drive on the sata raid controler. for some reason i cant have both on the same controler, eventhough both are on-board, windows wont boot off the first when the second is in the 2nd channel

sounds like ram timings to me
i tried the stock timings then i went a little tighter, though it doesnt matter too much with pentiums (vs AMD) still got the error either way, im at 3-3-3-8 now, any suggestions?

what kind of PSU?
OCz powerstream 520w... can more then handle all of this, i made sure the rails are within spec all the time, theres LEDs on the back to tell me when they arent and i can adjust them right there, kind of cool

Maybe your raid is causing you the problems. I've had issues with raid on my Asus mobo.

If i can do 700mhz overclock on air, you should be able to hit 4ghz on water.

yea i can easily get to 4ghz with less then half a volt increase and im pretty sure way beyond with some more. i dont think the raid is the problem, my primary HD is on a virtual (SATA emulated as IDE) channel. the error windows gives says something to the effect of "cannot find the file or the file is corrupt... C:\windows\system32
Please re install windows or try using the recovery console"

its not reading the system directory for some reason, one of my friends said that he has heard of ASUS motherboards not liking to run at 250mhz bus, i was just wondering if anyone knew of a fix or way around it

Back