Trying to access an XP HDD with a Vista machine

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I have a rig running Vista Ultimate 64 (specs in sig) and I just took the HDD out of my old XP machine to get the files off of it. The thing is, while Vista sees the second HDD with no problem, I can't access any of the files on it. I am trying to get all my pics, vids and music off the old HDD but Vista keeps saying I don't have permission to access them. I keep having to change the permission settings one file at a time. Is there any way to simply allow access to the whole HDD so I don't have to do it one file at a time?

Create an account with the same name and password on the Vista machine as that of an administrative account on the XP machine the drive came..

Right click on the drive in my computer. Select Properties. Go to Security Tab. Click Advanced. Go to Owner Tab. Click Edit. Select your account if present in list (or go to "other users and groups" and enter your Vista user name and click OK), check the "replace owner on subcontainers and objects" box", then hit OK. Go back to the security Tab, choose "edit," remove all users, then click "add" and enter your Vista user name, then click OK, OK, and OK. If done correctly you should be able to access any file on the drive.

Back