Trying my hand at OC - is AMD Overdrive junk?

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I just built a Ryzen 7 system (specs in sig) and want to boost it a little. I've never been much for OC'ing but would like to try it out on my new Ryzen system. I got my CPU to 4.2 GHz and my RAM to 3200 MHz and it's stable - at least according to the 3dMark Firestrike stress test (I got 99.9%). However, I installed AMD Overdrive and my PC become a dumpster fire.

Right after installing Overdrive it said to restart my computer then it got stuck in a restart loop as every time Windows loaded it would BSOD. Some Googling said it was Overdrive so I completely deleted the Overdrive folder from Safe Mode and was able to get my computer to start back up. However, now it likes to BSOD every so often.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Your overclock probably isn't stable. You need to do more thorough stability testing, like prime95 for several hours.

I just built a Ryzen 7 system (specs in sig) and want to boost it a little. I've never been much for OC'ing but would like to try it out on my new Ryzen system. I got my CPU to 4.2 GHz and my RAM to 3200 MHz and it's stable - at least according to the 3dMark Firestrike stress test (I got 99.9%). However, I installed AMD Overdrive and my PC become a dumpster fire.

Right after installing Overdrive it said to restart my computer then it got stuck in a restart loop as every time Windows loaded it would BSOD. Some Googling said it was Overdrive so I completely deleted the Overdrive folder from Safe Mode and was able to get my computer to start back up. However, now it likes to BSOD every so often.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I thought 3DMark push more GPU than CPU? Shouldn't you use like Prime95 v26.6 to test CPU stability? Just curious, what is your voltage setting?

Back