Try Before You Buy VR

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
PRNewswire is reporting that HTC VIVE and Dave & Buster's Entertainment, Inc are forming the largest VR arcade partnership. Dave & Buster's will be deploying over 500 VIVE headsets across 114 locations nationwide with new exclusive, multi-participant content created for Dave & Buster's. The new VR installations will be available June 14.

Very cool stuff. I've never been to a Dave & Buster's since the nearest one is an hour from me, but for this I may have to check it out. Have to wonder what kind of [H]ardware they're deploying with the headsets.

"We're excited to partner with HTC Vive in the largest location-based VR activation in U.S. and to bring the most immersive VR system to our customers," said Kevin Bachus, Senior Vice President of Entertainment & Games Strategy at Dave & Buster's. "Across all of our locations, we know families will enjoy the stunning entertainment that virtual reality offers, and our guests can look forward to experiencing new exclusive content throughout the year."

I preferred the Sony Method. Ship a complete set to your home try it for two weeks and send it back or keep it at a lower price than anyone else offered.

Basically the only reason I have one. (RE7 is intense in VR by the by)

Yeah.... putting something on my face that was just on some snot nosed kid or greasy faced hippy who hadn't showered in a week really seems worth the money. Bonus: free lice and jerry curl juice with each order!

I'll stay at home and play on my Oculus just fine thank you.

They will likely come up with some kind of disposable or washable protective cover to try and minimize the grossness, otherwise all the headsets would have to be tossed out weekly, and there's no way that's financially acceptable.

I'm glad I'm not the only one whose first thought was spreading diseases, like herpes and jerseyshoreism.

Interesting. We are having my sons birthday party at D&B June 16th, will have to see if it is at that location.

In regards to the gross factor, there is a Microsoft store by me that has a VR demo for people to try. An employee wipes down the headset and controllers before and after each use. They may employ a similar method at D&B. Will have to wait and see I guess.

Everyone is afraid of germs from other peoples faces yet this is safe?

673033.jpg

Interesting. We are having my sons birthday party at D&B June 16th, will have to see if it is at that location.

In regards to the gross factor, there is a Microsoft store by me that has a VR demo for people to try. An employee wipes down the headset and controllers before and after each use. They may employ a similar method at D&B. Will have to wait and see I guess.

Just to follow up for anyone that wanted to know, the VR experience at the D&B was setup at the location we visited. There were signs EVERYWHERE in the store advertising it. It is the Jurassic World VR experience and to me seemed more like a "ride" than messing around in a virtual environment. I found this youtube video to give a better idea of what it is. As the video mentions, it costs $5 to experience it.

My kids didn't want to try it after seeing all the movement it does, but I tried it out. Since we got there right when they opened I got past the "gross factor" because I saw them cleaning the headsets when they were setting everything up. Not sure if they do that after every use. During the couple hours we were there, I didn't see anyone else try it. Not sure if it was because it was so new no one knew what it was or the $5 price tag made them not interested.

I did ask if they would let me check out the hardware that was running the whole thing, but they declined.

Back