TRX40 mainboard - PCIe lanes

tived

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,
most of the boards have 4x PCIe x16 slots but it looks like you really only get 2x 16x and 2x 8x
is it possible to run at least 3 x 16x ? one GPU and 2 Storage controllers? at full 16x speed?

thanks again

henrik

Hi guys,
most of the boards have 4x PCIe x16 slots but it looks like you really only get 2x 16x and 2x 8x
is it possible to run at least 3 x 16x ? one GPU and 2 Storage controllers? at full 16x speed?

thanks again

henrik
There are boards with 3x PCIe16 slots all at 16x. You can always run the video card in a x16 8x slot for the boards with 4 x16 slots, if pcie4 it should not make a difference. Run the two controllers with the 16x slots.

There are boards with 3x PCIe16 slots all at 16x. You can always run the video card in a x16 8x slot for the boards with 4 x16 slots, if pcie4 it should not make a difference. Run the two controllers with the 16x slots.
thanks noko, I wasn't able to do this on the X570 MSI but maybe it is different for TRX40

God man TR40x has so many lanes.

My GB TR40x Master has 2x 16 2x8 1x1

thats 49 lanes just for the pcie slots and they are all 4.0 spec

Yea, 64 lanes goes a lonnng way. You could even go TR Pro and get 128 lanes lol. Those are basically specially binned Epycs though.

Reactions: tived
like this
This is a big part of why I went TR. as I add storage and add on cards, no limits.

Reactions: tived
like this
You can also be an idiot like me and get 110 m2 drives

stupid optane 👀
I am not sure what it is, but I find that I have made so many silly mistakes building these last systems. Maybe I need to build more frequently ;-) and not wait 10 years, 6 years... things changes too fast ;-)

once you buy something, something else comes out, supposedly bigger, better and more expensive ;-)

The 110mm m.2 drives don’t fit in a lot of slots. As I’ve also made lots of build mistakes over the years I was very thorough. The gigabyte board is fine for them but they’re the stupid XL-atx that doesn’t fit in normal cases. Considered chopping a gap out but not worth it.

So I got a zenith ii extreme alpha. With that I can fit it on the back of the motherboard where it’ll overheat. Or in those stupid dimm like cards that Asus use. Doesn’t fit in the rest.

Shame threadripper boards don’t have u.2 ports any more tbh. PITA

The 110mm m.2 drives don’t fit in a lot of slots. As I’ve also made lots of build mistakes over the years I was very thorough. The gigabyte board is fine for them but they’re the stupid XL-atx that doesn’t fit in normal cases. Considered chopping a gap out but not worth it.

So I got a zenith ii extreme alpha. With that I can fit it on the back of the motherboard where it’ll overheat. Or in those stupid dimm like cards that Asus use. Doesn’t fit in the rest.

sorry to hear - I have one of the Gigabyte AIC boards with 4 drives on - which is the whole reason for stepping up to threadripper for me. so I have the extra and faster storage.

would an extension cable work for you?
as for cases, I have always liked big cases - the Define 7 XL is my smallest case and it can just fit the XL-ATX (well, i'll let you know over the next few weeks :nailbiting:) otherwise I will strip down my old Lian Li V2120 from back in the day, when EVGA was King! with their SR-2 dual XEON

should have plenty of room - TheSmokingMan might not have enough room for all his gear!

1605143633386.png

sorry about the lack of cable management! - there was 7x 2TB SATA and 24x SSD's across two raid controllers

i am sitting with my fingers crossed that it all will come together. waiting for CPU, mainboard arrived but is rev 1.0 instead of 1.1 ....CPU block isn't big enough and so on....

Attachments

• 1605143658532.png
    1605143658532.png
    767.5 KB · Views: 0

No U.2 drives anymore. Got a zenith 1 with the port and no idea what to do with the damned thing.

No U.2 drives anymore. Got a zenith 1 with the port and no idea what to do with the damned thing.
is there not some converter? i am asking this without first checking for sanity - please forgive

Unfortunately the Optanes are one of the few u.2 things left in some form factors (as well as a bunch of enterprise drives but they’re mostly old now). The new gen optane were in sample for big clients back in March so I assume they’re just sitting on them until Intel manages to do a more mass market pcie 4

It’s part of the reason I just got a small 905p, to wait for the refresh. I think there’s going to be some exciting things out of any refresh though, we need some faster I/O (latency not throughput) to use all these lovely lanes

Standard nvme should be well under the half ms mark- how much lower latency are you looking for?

Back