Trust Issues

rosco

Gawd
We have a Server 2008 and a Server 2003 box on our network. We have a mix of XP and Windows 7 workstations.

We have intermittent problems where the Windows 7 workstations will not be able to logon to the domain and the error message refers to the trust relationship.

I have searched for solutions and mainly find the workarounds for getting it to be able to sign on again. The most simple seems to be removing it from the domain changing it's name and adding it back in.

What I would like to do is figure out what the issue is so it stops happening. At first I thought it was a Win 7 update that was missing but it just happened again on a workstation that had all current updates applied.

Any ideas?

Do you have multiple machines with the same name? Where "machines" counts each bootable partition as the same "name". That can mess with trust.

Presuming no existing name duplication, I've found leaving the domain and rejoining it the simplest way of fixing things.

I've seen this a number of times, but it was do to a bad clone as stated above.

I've also had it where we had a disjoined domain controller, which was a surprisingly humorous problem to solve. As long as the workstation kept talking to that particular controller, the workstations had no problem (remember the machine accounts have passwords that expire frequently). When the workstation would talk to another controller, it would get a trust issue because the workstation password on the working domain controllers had long expired. It certainly had me scratching my head at first until I realized that I had a domain controller that was not replicating and was off on its own.

Also, instead on renaming or disjoining, use the "network id" wizard under system properties. You won't have to rename nor will you have to reboot twice. It'll ask you if you want to use the same machine account and then just rejoins the domain.

Back