TruePower Trio 550 or Neo HE 550

acer4ever

n00b
My new 8800GT will arrive in a couple of days, and these are the only power supply options I have.

Which one would be a better choice?

41643683qw1.jpg

The specs are almost the same:

NEO HE 550

+3.3V - 24A
+5V - 20A
+12V - 18A (x3)

TRIO 550

+3.3V - 24A
+5V - 24A
+12V - 18A (x3)

I can also get a CoolerMaster eXtreme Power 500,
but the specs are a "little bit" lower.

+3.3V - 20A
+5V - 20A
+12V - 16A (x2)

System: e6600 | asus P5N-E SLI | 2x1gb HZ | 8800GT

With the exception of the +5V and +3.3V, those "specs" don't mean a lot. What we need to know is how much wattage is available on the +12V rail. Remember that wattage doesn't mean as much these days. What matters most is where those watts are being delivered. For current rigs, it's all about how much amps are on the +12V rail since most PC parts draw their power from there. The more amps you have, the more upgrades (hard drives, video cards, PCI cards, etc) you can add. You determine the amperage on the +12V rails by first finding out what's the total combined or max wattage set aside for the +12V rails/section alone. So for example, the Antec TP3 Trio 550W has 504W total on the +12V rail. Divide that total wattage for the +12V by 12 and you get how much amps the PSU has on the +12V rail. In this case, 504W divided by 12 is 42A. So the Antec TP3 Trio 550W has 42A on the +12V Rail. And that's plenty of power for your current system.

However, the Antec NeoHE 550W also has 42A on the +12V rail. But I recommend the TP3 Trio 550W since it's Seasonic made and has 80+ efficiency.

Also, don't bother with the Extreme Power series of PSU from Coolermaster. They're rated higher than what they can actually provide. So essentially, they're crap.

Also, why are those the only power supply options that you have?

Thanks for the advice, I'll forget about the CoolerMaster.

I read the NeoHE 550 was also made by Seasonic.
Would it be reason enough to choose the NeoHE over the TP3 just for being a modular psu?

Unfortunately those are the options I can find here in Uruguay at a reasonable price :)

I can add the OCZ stealthXstream 600w to the contest

+3.3v - 36A
+5v - 30A
+12v - 18A (x4)

max combined power 580w, that is 48A right?

oczle7.jpg

Even the specs for the OCZ psu are higher, what about the quality of its components? reliability?

Wouldn't bother with the StealthXStream. IIRC, it's based off the FSP Episilon PSU design which has out of spec ripple, or voltage fluctuations, at high loads that can damage or kill your system. Granted, you may not reach such high loads but why pay for PSU that can kill your system?

Either the NeoHE or the Trio would be fine for you, it's really just a matter of whether or not you want/need a modular PSU. The Trio is 80plus certified (I think?), but the NeoHE is right around the 80% efficiency mark too. As was already said, skip Cooler Master (unless you're looking at the Real Power Pro series) and OCZ (out of spec ripple).

Antec sent me one of the NeoHE power supplies when my Neo Power bit the big one. I really like the idea of using only the wires you need and leaving the rest detached. It makes for a much cleaner system. Plus, all of their harnesses are sleeved. The power supply itself is solid, i've taken it across two system builds with zero problems.

Again, it's all about what you want. Modular vs non modular isn't a question with a definitive answer for everyone, it's a matter of preference.

Back