True "pay when you need it" options for GSM tablet

Trepidati0n

[H]F Junkie
It seems what I am asking for is available every where in the world but the united states. We have standard plans through Verizon for our smart phones.

However, I have a GSM based tablet. Anywhere the world I go I can buy a sim card and load data on as I need it as use the tablet. Not an issue. Life is grand.

In the US, every carrier is like "you need a contract" or "pay as you go" requires you to spend $40/month. Is there seriously no carrier/plan out there that just allow me to buy a sim card and load on data when I need it even if it only lasts a month before it expires?

I think the closest you can get is Ting. They're pay as you go on usage with only a $6/mo line fee and data rates of:

$0 No Usage

$3 1–100MB

$10 101–500MB

$16 501MB–1GB

$20 1.1–2GB

2GB+ $10/GB

Network service is your choice of Sprint or TMobile.

Prepaid SIMs do not exist in the NA?

Here in Finland you could buy a prepaid SIM for 3,90 € (DNA Rajaton Prepaid in this example) which includes 7 € worth of credits. When you use it it's 0,89 € per day. If you don't use it, it will not use the credits. It includes unlimited call, messages and data (max 300 Mbit/s). You can then load credits when you run out. No subscription or anything - you just buy the SIM and activate it and you're good to go.

You can get a Tracfone SIM with a prepaid package, and then once you have it you can add 1GB data for $10 and an option will show up to add 365 days of service for another $50. So the cost is as little as $60/year after the initial buy in. Best part is everything rolls over, so no need to worry about not using it. Pretty cost efficient for devices that will be on wifi most of the time.

Prepaid SIMs do not exist in the NA?

Here in Finland you could buy a prepaid SIM for 3,90 € (DNA Rajaton Prepaid in this example) which includes 7 € worth of credits. When you use it it's 0,89 € per day. If you don't use it, it will not use the credits. It includes unlimited call, messages and data (max 300 Mbit/s). You can then load credits when you run out. No subscription or anything - you just buy the SIM and activate it and you're good to go.

It just isn't common among the big carriers oddly enough. I have found some option among B and C tier carriers...but the big players are all about locking you in it seems.

With Google Fi you can get an optional data sim to use when you need to. But I believe you need to already have their service first.

Back