True Image experts

number69

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it normal for Windows search to be able to search inside Acronis image(.tib) files? I was searching my external drive where my tib files are and noticed it was searching inside the image itself. I could tell by watching the folders it was going through, Windows, system, system32, program files, etc...which aren't on my external drive obviously, only in the image of my C drive which is on the external. Acronis also created a shit load of log files in the log folder after I did my search.

There's no reason why they couldn't be searched but for that to work a couple of things would need to be true. First the tib files would need to have clear text or there would need to be a search filter for them. And also tib files would need to be set up to be indexed.

Go into Indexing Options and see it tib files are set up to have their contents searched.

Good question, i have never indexed the .tib files. I would try this, but thats like 80 GB of files lol

I'm on XP and my thinking was Windows(any version) had no way of natively searching inside images which I believe is correct. I used to use Ghost, the search feature never looked inside .gho files. Obviously if I fired up Ghost Explorer I could see what's in there. Then again I never had Ghost installed on my system, I always used it from a boot cd. I have True Image installed and I think it incorporates with the Windows shell. I found this statement on another forum from a Acronis person:

"To everyone interested: Acronis True Image uses shell extension to open archive contents in Windows explorer."

So I think if I didn't have True Image installed the search feature wouldn't be able to open those archives files to search inside them. Not a huge deal, just wondering if that's a security risk. What if a malware program was able to exploit that and throw some trojans into people's images?

Last edited:
Back