True Gaming Laptops Are Finally Becoming A Reality

You misunderstood me apparently. I didn't say there was a justification for gaming on such a setup at home over a desktop. But if you need the portability primarily, then its nice to have the external GPU enclosure at home so you can have a gaming experience which would be similar to that of a desktop.

I don't get it. You need portability you take the laptop. But at home instead of connecting the laptop to an external gpu you can simply use a desktop and leave the notebook in it's carry case. The only way I'd think it'd be justified to not have a desktop at home is if you game at least 75% away from home. But then I could not justify the external gpu sitting there unused either.

I can hardly justify having a gaming laptop. Thankfully my company takes care of that.
I took my laptop on countless business trips around the world, thinking that I'll play in the hotel room, but almost always ended up not playing at all. The last occasion when I actually played was in 2012 when Mass Effect 3 was new. I played that for about 45 minutes.

I don't get it. You need portability you take the laptop. But at home instead of connecting the laptop to an external gpu you can simply use a desktop and leave the notebook in it's carry case. The only way I'd think it'd be justified to not have a desktop at home is if you game at least 75% away from home. But then I could not justify the external gpu sitting there unused either.

I can hardly justify having a gaming laptop. Thankfully my company takes care of that.
I took my laptop on countless business trips around the world, thinking that I'll play in the hotel room, but almost always ended up not playing at all. The last occasion when I actually played was in 2012 when Mass Effect 3 was new. I played that for about 45 minutes.

^he still does not get it. Get over it people are different they have different likes and tastes someone might prefer a gaming laptop like the msi gt80 titan because they move a lot(lans, visiting home etc ) not everyone wants a fully fledged gaming pc. You are not the arbiter of what a pc gamer is so i suggest you get of that saddle.

I totally understand where he is coming form. You want 2 980ti's a 4960x and 64gb of ram. While its extremely overkill in most situations, My desktop is 5760x1080, my 850m would shit a brick at those resolutions. There's other forms of gaming other then on a single monitor... VR, multi monitor, shit somepople have wide screen 4k monitors going on. Laptops cant handle everything

I think you fail to understand. You simply want more, while some of us can deal with less. That doesn't make one person's gaming any more real or less real.

And wow! Congrats on your desktop. I run two 22" 1080p screens with a 27" 4k in the middle. Guess what? I bought a gaming laptop. Why? Because I'm mobile a lot too. Not everyone has the benefit of having a desktop at home and a laptop on the go or the budget to have such. I'm not one of those ppl though.

Playing on a 13" screen at low settings, playing on 4k screen on ultra settings, playing on a VR headset, guess what? It's all gaming. There is no such thing as "real gaming", there's just, gaming. Also, I don't seem to recall anyone saying that laptops can handle everything. There's a give and take relationship for mobility, gaming ability, and price. The same can be said with desktops. Not so much mobility, but size. You aren't building a 4 gpu setup in an ITX case.

There are a ton of use cases where this make sense. Say you are a college student. You are on a semi limited budget, and you can only really afford one system. But you NEED a laptop for classes. However, you WANT to game as well. However, being stuck on a 17" screen while in your dorm room is a little silly.
So, you buy a $1500 gaming laptop, a $100 monitor, $50 in keyboard and mouse, $50 on a headset and, boom, for $1700, you have a single system that can do it all. AND, no need to worry about file syncing etc that becomes an issue if you have two systems. Alternatively, here, you buy a $1k laptop and, say, a $250 video card with the Core, and not only do you get all the benefits of the first setup, but the laptop itself isn't massive and heavy.

Otherwise, you're likely going to spend more on two systems: a decent laptop with good battery and stats ($700-$800), plus the gaming rig for the dorm (say $800), in addition to the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers. AND you have to deal with multiple systems and the file transfers etc.

Then you have others two want a gaming desktop and a gaming laptop. Like me. Although, I'm one of the extreme cases.

Gaming desktop and file server at home. My old Acer W700 tablet in the bedroom for music. Surface 3 for music in the car. Surface Pro 3 for work and labs (online virtual server labs). I just got an Alienware 13" for gaming.

Honestly, who games mobile? I just don't understand why people would want that. Shitty local wifi, no mouse and crappy keyboard, nowhere comfortable to sit. Where are you people doing your gaming that makes it worth the hassle?? What magical place have you found in the world where the distraction of other people, and shared internet isn't an issue?

It's called an Xbox controller. Also take multiple overseas flights like I do. Last year I flew from Germany to Idaho, then back again. Germany to DC, then back again. Germany to Tokyo, then back again. You're talking 10+ hours of travelling. Can be longer depending on layovers. I've spend 3 hours layover in Paris, 7 in London, 6 in Amsterdam. There's also the time you spend sitting at the airport when you get there. International flights? Show up 2 hours early. I got to Haneda airport 3 hours early, cause I was afraid of security, since the airport hasn't been opened up for long for international flights. Took me 10 mins to check in and go through security.

That doesn't include any of the EU trips I take, where guess what? Everything in freaking Europe closes at 5-7 pm. The only things you have to do after that is, go watch a movie in a language you don't understand, go to a restaurant, or go to a club if you happen to be there for the clubbing days.

Right now it's snowboard season, so I do weekend trips. Drive out, hit the slopes, then chill in the hotel playing games for a few hours (cause ski towns really have nothing), crash out, and drive home the next day. Well, no PC gaming, cause no gaming laptop, but I do have a PSP/PS Vita.

^he still does not get it. Get over it people are different they have different likes and tastes someone might prefer a gaming laptop like the msi gt80 titan because they move a lot(lans, visiting home etc ) not everyone wants a fully fledged gaming pc. You are not the arbiter of what a pc gamer is so i suggest you get of that saddle.

Clearly, you are.

Gaming desktop and file server at home. My old Acer W700 tablet in the bedroom for music. Surface 3 for music in the car. Surface Pro 3 for work and labs (online virtual server labs). I just got an Alienware 13" for gaming.

We have somewhat similar strategies.
I have the gaming desktop (and HTPC) at home, a file server, a Surface 3 for at work (just for meetings and OneNote note taking for the most part) a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for mobile work, and a new Lenovo Y50 (Core i7, GTX 960m) for personal use. Since I'm an attorney, I have to keep my mobile stuff separate. I do NOT want to have to give up my personal laptop in the case that there is some kind of document hold/subpoena etc.

We have somewhat similar strategies.
I have the gaming desktop (and HTPC) at home, a file server, a Surface 3 for at work (just for meetings and OneNote note taking for the most part) a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro for mobile work, and a new Lenovo Y50 (Core i7, GTX 960m) for personal use. Since I'm an attorney, I have to keep my mobile stuff separate. I do NOT want to have to give up my personal laptop in the case that there is some kind of document hold/subpoena etc.

I am so glad that I don't need a separate laptop for work. I had to do that once and they'll issue a laptop. Of course, it's usually the biggest, slowest piece of crap. Mine was a 13" Panasonic Toughbook that weighs like 13 lbs. Was ridiculous. So glad I no longer need to do that.

I definitely wasn't going to reimage my own computers to be put onto work networks.

Back