True 120Hz from PC to TV!!! (Successful Overclocking Of HDTV / Plasmas)

Mark Rejhon

[H]ard|Gawd
The bleeding edge art of overclocking an HDTV to 120Hz...

True 120Hz from PC to TV:
Make Your HDTV Accept Real 120Hz Refresh Rate

Just like overclocking a Catleap 2B, or the QNIX Q2710 Evolution 2, or the X270OC
...it is also possible to overclock some HDTV's to 120Hz from a computer too!
...Dozens of success reports are coming in, including:

Successful: Vizio e3d420vx
Resolution: 1920×1080 at 120 Hz
Source: http://120hz.net/showthread.php?852-Managed-to-force-120Hz-on-a-Vizio-e3d420vx

Success: Panasonic VT50 plasma
Caveat: More heat output
Source: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1438092/l...z-via-dvi-or-hdmi-from-computer#post_22576928

Confirmed: Seiki 4K HDTV
The brand new SEIKI 50″ HDTV with 4K resolution supports 1080p @ 120Hz natively (Multitool confirmed).
seiki4k_720p@133Hz-300x224.jpg

deadman5k said:
Successful: Vizio M420SL not a 3d TV

Using a Asus 3D tv driver I was able to force a 120hz output with windows 7 and my Vizio M420SL system info screen displays 120hz vertical frequency as well as my Catalyst control center. This TV is not a 3D but does have a native LCD refresh rate of 120hz.

Thank you blurbusters for your very helpful information. It took all day to find the right question to ask the great google search engine but when I finally asked “force 120hz pc” I found this page and now I am in 120hz, 42 inch, goodness. Next trick is getting passive 3d working. Thanks again.
sadbuttrue said:
Successful: Panasonic 50ST30 plasma
Resolution: 1280×720 @ 120hz.
Source: HardForum post (by sadbuttrue)

The OSD reports 60hz and 3D mode detected. Colours are slightly different but there is no 3D being applied. I have verified that it does show 120 unique frames.
So, when you try outputting 120hz to your TV don’t assume the OSD is giving an accurate report. It may say 60hz yet actually be showing 120hz.
maarten12100 said:
Successful: Skyworth 39E780U UHD tv (china market model)
Resolution: 1080p @ 140Hz, and 720p @ 254Hz!
Source: Overclock.net review by maarten12100

The overclock results:
UHD 3840×2160 was 30Hz max now 38Hz (up to 40Hz by reducing the extra pixels/blanking in the stream but with minor artifacting)
QFHD 2560×1440 was not there now 82Hz
HD 1920×1080 was 60Hz max now 140Hz (I checked with RRMT Refresh Rate Multi Tool and it actually did it without dropping)
QHD 1280×720 was 60Hz max now 254Hz (checked again with RRMT but it was too fast for my eyes then I took pictures and video)
(NOTE: Cost only $600 in China! Not available outside of China yet at this time.)
bobbitybob said:
Successful:
- Sony KDL-50R550A 50″
- Sony KDL-60R550A 60″
- Sony KDL-70R550A 70″
Resolution: 1080p @ 120Hz
Source: AVSFORUM post by bobbitybob

“720p@120hz confirmed working. Kinda funny, before on 1080 I didn't notice a difference figuring I'm just getting too old for this stuff, having never used a 120hz monitor before, but I knew instantly with the real 120hz that it's working. What a huge difference in smoothness and reduction in blur. Just nuts. Tested with RRM (Refresh Rate Multitool) as well to verify.”
(NOTE: 720p was good; 1080p was frameskipping, but may be DVI adaptor (limitation). Best to test using direct HDMI-to-HDMI connection from PC-to-TV.)

HDTV Overclocking Instructions: Get 120Hz from a PC to a television

No fake frames. No interpolation junk. No Motionflow voodoo. True 120Hz!.
Try this with your existing HDTV.
Post your success reports here.

(HardForum courtesy: Buy your TV via HardForum Amazon Link)

EDIT: A second avenue of reducing motion blur on HDTV's is to get a Sony TV with the low-lag Game Mode Motionflow Impulse feature (LightBoost style strobe backlight). It is only 60Hz but reduces motion blur by 75% and is console-compatible.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The great news is that the 42" Vizio M420SL costs only $650 -- not bad for a 42" 120Hz computer monitor.

You're a true refresh rate crusader dude...

Keep on fighting the good fight.

Thanks Mark, but I remember when that 120Hz.net thread about the Vizio e3d420vx first started. That particular HDTV natively accepts a 120Hz signal. So while it was a little bit more involved than connecting a PC to the HDTV (the guy had to set a custom resolution in NVIDIA Control Panel) there was no actual overclocking in this case...unless I've been mis-understanding what overclocking a display actually means?

That said, I hadn't heard of the other 3.

By the way, this link you posted:
http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/120hz-pc-to-tv/

Is it meant to replace this (now broken) link from April:
http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/hdtv-refresh-overclock
?

Thanks Mark, but I remember when that 120Hz.net thread about the Vizio e3d420vx first started.
Yes, that's the genesis that lead to the creation of that HOWTO.
With the increasing popularity of overclocking computer monitors... awareness of the ability to overclock HDTV's need to be raised as well, too.

-- Some of them supports them (Part of EDID data; intentionally but unofficially);
-- Some of them actually support them but EDID doesn't say it (ignoring the EDID "lie");
-- Some of them is true overclocking (forcing the refresh rate, manufacturer never intended 120Hz to be native).

Regardless, the HOWTO applies to all situations.
Awareness is quite low; just google "120Hz from PC to TV"; everyone still keeps saying it is impossible. That's outdated information now.
Blur Busters is trying to fix that. :)

(P.S. Both links works now; it is fixed.)

Last edited:
The Panasonic 50ST30 (cpl years old) will accept 1280x720 @ 120hz. The OSD reports 60hz and 3D mode detected. Colours are slightly different but there is no 3D being applied. I have verified that it does show 120 unique frames.

So, when you try outputting 120hz to your TV don't assume the OSD is giving an accurate report. It may say 60hz yet actually be showing 120hz.

Last edited:
A month after I get a qnix lol...and I prefer screen size over total pixels too, not to mention this would be easier to drive on my meager 7870. Granted my TV is an offbrand 60Hz native without any 120Hz internals so it probably wouldn't work anyway.

The Panasonic 50ST30 (cpl years old) will accept 1280x720 @ 120hz. The OSD reports 60hz and 3D mode detected. Colours are slightly different but there is no 3D being applied. I have verified that it does show 120 unique frames.

So, when you try outputting 120hz to your TV don't assume the OSD is giving an accurate report. It may say 60hz yet actually be showing 120hz.
Excellent, I've added the Panasonic 50ST30 plasma to the list of success reports at the bottom of the page.

BTW, from my experience and what I hear from others, it seems the almost all 3D-capable Panasonic "50" series plasmas have some capability of doing 120Hz natively, either at 720p and sometimes 1080p.

Last edited:
Do any of these TVs have displayport or dual link dvi?
I didn't think you could push 1080p @ 120hz through hdmi?

Do any of these TVs have displayport or dual link dvi?
I didn't think you could push 1080p @ 120hz through hdmi?
Depends on the setup. HDMI 1.4 has the bandwidth to support 120Hz@1080p, unofficially.
If your Radeon or Geforce card has a HDMI output, it's possible to force 120Hz out of it with various tweaks such as EDID overrides.
Officially you need HDMI 1.4b at the minimum for 1080p@120Hz (2013 chipsets), but it has miraculously worked sometimes.
This is really overclocking territory.

The problem occurs if you try to convert DVI-D to HDMI (which doesn't work at 1080p@120Hz).

Improve your successes by:
-- Using a very good HDMI cable even if the HDTV is only HDMI 1.3a
-- Try all ports on TV
-- Try all ports on computer
-- Do not use any adaptors (Do not use DVI-D to HDMI adaptor)
-- Bypass your surround sound receiver. (Some will work, others won't pass through 120Hz HDMI)

Last edited:
Somehow I knew before even clicking that this was a Mark Rejhon thread :D

Nice to know there are some TV's out there that can do it since those nice Mitsubishi's.

Interesting to know. I'll give this a shot when I get home on my UN55ES7100!

Interesting to know. I'll give this a shot when I get home on my UN55ES7100!

Awesome. I'll try testing this out with my HX929
Please report back, and also mention which cable/port you used!

BTW, don't forget to bypass your surround sound receiver, if it doesn't work.
Some newer units (especially 4K capable units) work with 120Hz HDMI. But not all do.
And use a very good HDMI cable, one rated 3D or 4K compatible. Monoprice sells those for cheap.

Last edited:
What make you believe that the TV is actually showing 60fps but the menu (who have been overrided by the edid hack) is saying 120hz ?

What make you believe that the TV is actually showing 60fps but the menu (who have been overrided by the edid hack) is saying 120hz ?
sadbuttrue saying vice versa. It is a successful overclock.
The television is actually displaying 120 frames per second, but the TV menu is saying 60Hz.

Symptoms of successful 120Hz:
1. You have 50% less motion blur during full fluidity animations (fps=Hz). Game motion is smoother.
2. Dragging windows around feels much smoother (with a gaming mouse). 120Hz computer monitor veterans (e.g. ASUS VG728H, ASUS VG248QE) are familiar with this.
3. Software such as Refresh Rate Multitool confirms true 120 frame per second. (no faked or skipped frames)
4. You feel less input lag.

At this point, that's a successful 120Hz native refresh rate. No interpolation!

Last edited:
Holy shit 120Hz plasma!!? If/when this gets working on panasonic GT/ST series at 1080p, the display wars will be over.

I got the samsung s27a950d EDID to work and then tried 2 different ways to push 120hz, 96hz at different resolutions... no luck :(

UN55ES7100

I got the samsung s27a950d EDID to work and then tried 2 different ways to push 120hz, 96hz at different resolutions... no luck :(
UN55ES7100

I am having a hell of a time trying to get my Vizio to overclock, but still no joy. This is the TV that I have, does anybody have any advice? I am running a 680gtx on my HTPC rig and have tried the toasty x CRU and the EDID driver hack.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0045TYDX2/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the reports of non-successes; they are as useful as the reports of successes!
You both tried direct HDMI connection, directly from graphics card to TV -- no adaptors, no receivers, no HDMI switches?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
What cable did you use, and did you directly connect from computer's HDMI port to the television's HDMI port?

http://www.overclock.net/products/skyworth-39e780u-uhd-tv/reviews/6071
Please add my Skyworth screen too, I came up to 140Hz (However I already knew the panel was 120Hz actually xD)
Excellent!
I'm adding that to the Comments section of the HDTV Overclocking HOWTO.

The overclock results:
UHD 3840x2160 was 30Hz max now 38Hz (up to 40Hz by reducing the extra pixels/blanking in the stream but with minor artifacting)
QFHD 2560x1440 was not there now 82Hz
HD 1920x1080 was 60Hz max now 140Hz (I checked with RRMT Refresh Rate Multi Tool and it actually did it without dropping)
QHD 1280x720 was 60Hz max now 254Hz (checked again with RRMT but it was too fast for my eyes then I took pictures and video)

That said....250Hz+ in 720p? Wow.
And you only paid $600 for this 39 inch display? (I knew these 39" 4K panels were available at factory quantities for only $425 -- but I'm surprised the markup on top of that is that small)
You should purchase a Casio high speed camera ($250 from eBay) -- either the EX-FC200S or EX-ZR200. They have 120fps, 240fps, 480fps, and 1000fps video capture modes, which I find quite useful in tests, and I used one to create the high speed video of LightBoost; so it should be useful for high-refresh-rate verifications (making sure 254Hz is not framedropping)

Last edited:
Wow, this is exciting stuff. I don't think I'll try it on my tv, but it has never even crossed my mind to try to over clock my U2711. I suppose whilr I wait for the release of a stroboscopic 1440p monitor it's worth a shot.

Updated list again, with modification:
bobbitybob said:
Successful:
- Sony KDL-50R550A 50″
- Sony KDL-60R550A 60″
- Sony KDL-70R550A 70″
Resolution: 1080p @ 120Hz
Source: AVSFORUM post by bobbitybob

“720p@120hz confirmed working. Kinda funny, before on 1080 I didn't notice a difference figuring I'm just getting too old for this stuff, having never used a 120hz monitor before, but I knew instantly with the real 120hz that it's working. What a huge difference in smoothness and reduction in blur. Just nuts. Tested with RRM (Refresh Rate Multitool) as well to verify.”
(NOTE: 720p was good; 1080p was frameskipping, but may be DVI adaptor (limitation). Best to test using direct HDMI-to-HDMI connection from PC-to-TV.)

^Why would you do that when the S27A950D is a monitor with native 120Hz support and this thread is about HDTVs?

^Why would you do that when the S27A950D is a monitor with native 120Hz support and this thread is about HDTVs?
He just simply made a HDTV (UN55ES7100) "pretend" it was a S27A950D, by using an EDID override. It's an advanced method of making an HDTV pretend it's a 120Hz computer monitor.

The ToastyX method is far easier. But some people are just very familiar with using EDID overrides.

Great post!

Looking forward to more results :)

I know if I'm in the market for a new TV and its not confirmed 120hz, I will ask if I can connected a laptop up to do some "tests" before buying ;)

how likly are we to kill a plamasma screen? ive got a old panasonic 42 PHD8 screen that i am thinking of trying but dont wana kill it as i want it to last until a decent 4k screen comes out

Im trying to do this on my Samsung PN60F5500. I have a high speed HDMI cable from 660 TI going to input 3/DVI on the tv. Renamed the input to DVI-PC.

Then used ToastyX CRU and added a custom 120Hz mode, reset the PC, and it doesnt show up using Nvidia or Windows control panels.

Last edited:
Just making a custom res in Nvidia Control Panel, it goes up to 75Hz, but stops after that. Set it to 72Hz, and used the UFO test to make sure it wasnt dropping any.

Anything else to try?

Just making a custom res in Nvidia Control Panel, it goes up to 75Hz, but stops after that. Set it to 72Hz, and used the UFO test to make sure it wasnt dropping any.
Glad to know that the TestUFO Frame Skipping test helped!
Including the link here for other readers: www.testufo.com/#test=frameskipping

Make sure to run that link on a TestUFO supported browser, such as Chrome or Opera15+ (120Hz capable and beyond) or using IE10 (works up to 105Hz). If using Chrome browser, make sure everything in chrome://gpu is enabled. Temporarily run in single-monitor mode, for more reliable frame rate.

Anything else to try?
Do you get a higher refresh rate during 720p?
Sometimes 120Hz only works with 720p.

Tried 720P and it wouldn't work over 75Hz either.

Going through my Onkyo receiver not even 72Hz would work. So I guess Im just sticking to 60Hz.

Back