True 120Hz from PC to TV!!! (Successful Overclocking Of HDTV / Plasmas)

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Rejhon, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Morkai

Morkai Limp Gawd

Yes, 2D->3D using the 3D-goggles (this is the only way i can get it to run 120hz, 60fps per eye, half the frames being faked for 3D effect). I think it uses 4:4:4, at least text and images look normal and crisp and reviews say so. I recall reading some review stating 4:2:2, but the official panasonic product page says:

1080p pure direct
    "Offering colours that are faithful to the original 1080 content, Pure Direct increases the transmission efficency of high quality 30 Bit YUV 4:4:4 content. YUV refers to the three types of data the TV receives; the more data transmitted and displayed the higher the quality picture.
    Y = Brightness
    UV = Colour Signal
    YUV = Image produced
    *VT60, WT60, DT60"
    "The VT60 also adds a 1080p Pure Direct mode that enables support of a 4:4:4"

So, afaik, it supports 4:4:4. I have also set hdmi range full both in nvidia panel and in the monitor's settings, 1080p Pure Direct on. I could definitely be wrong though, i searched for some tests, and the best thing i found was to create a colored background in paint, and draw single pixel wide lines/scribble on it. Blue on red looked normal, red on blue looked a touch odd, like vertical lines were a touch brighter red than horizontal lines, but every pixel was certainly displayed as red. Black on white/white on black looks normal. I don't know much about chroma subsampling, and am not very picky with colors unless its quite far off.. such as IPS/TN being completely unable to display black.. :D (I see color errors briefly, after a minute or so it fades away due to adjusting to it, i guess).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  2. Chad_Thunder

Chad_Thunder [H]Lite

Well thanks to the Custom Resolution Utility I have successfully plugged in a greater range of resolutions at 120hz and the performance is just phenomenal, input lag has been cut down to virtually nil and there is absolutely zero perceptible flicker or motion artifacts in games

I do not remember CRT being this good

3. Morkai

Morkai Limp Gawd

Could you pm me some of those timings, just in case any would work on mine?

4. Chad_Thunder

Chad_Thunder [H]Lite

According to some graphic I found earlier the sub-field order are reversed in 3D mode so you get the brightest pulses first instead of last like at 60hz, it was not made clear whether hold time was shortened though I don't see why it would need to be

I think there is probably some mild chroma softening for the RGB colorspace but nothing to worry about if it does not bother you.

5. Chad_Thunder

Chad_Thunder [H]Lite

Yeah sure, they are just auto calculated from CRU I didn't tweak them

http://oi41.tinypic.com/2uzfj21.jpg

Maybe you should start with 800x600/1024x768/1280x720 and work up, you don't need CRU aggressive timings for that (NVIDIA control panel is nice for calculating safe timings)

6. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

I imagine its to reduce ghosting.

7. Nielo TM

Nielo TM Gawd

Took this during the 2010 Panasonic Convention in Munich. I don't think it is exclusive to 3D. Seems standard for both 2D and 3D.

[​IMG]

8. Chad_Thunder

Chad_Thunder [H]Lite

I guess we will never know :p

Here is the graphic I talked about, the poster mentions crosstalk but from a 2D perspective the only real advantage would seem to be a reduction in input lag

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  9. Morkai

Morkai Limp Gawd

"So what's up with this Panasonic drive method? 3D drive seems to have time for 14 subfields+reset and drive goes from bright to dark. This is possible done to prevent crosstalk between images. Yes I counted only 5 subfields, but this can't be right.

I counted 12 subfields + reset for 2D image, but there seems to be time for ~30 subfields + reset."

This does make sense, as the image is displayed for such a short time/frame that it flickers heavily at 60hz.
    When he says "I counted 12 subfields + reset for 2D image, but there seems to be time for ~30 subfields + reset." that is in tune with reality, the image being displayed for a short part of the frametime, then nothing. That post seems to be about an older version though, i think the persistence is even shorter now compared to that generation?

10. Chad_Thunder

Chad_Thunder [H]Lite

Most definitely, there was a reduction in the 30 series and I think again in VT60 with the inclusion of a new red phosphor, I remember reading someone went from VT30 to VT60 and noted the lack of "phosphor trails"

11. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Yep, the lower power use and heating of the cells means less wear, hence less burn in.

12. Bluesun311

Bluesun311 2[H]4U

Using the EDID driver for an ASUS monitor I was able to successfully overclock my

Vizio m321i-A2

to 110Hz @1080p

Gonna try a better cable tomorrow and see if I can get 120+.

Pretty pleased.

13. Nvidia_ATI

Nvidia_ATI Limp Gawd

Can you play games in 3d @ 1080p? My biggest gripe with Nvidia 3DTV play is the available modes are limited to 1080p@24Hz and 720p@Hz.

14. Morkai

Morkai Limp Gawd

You can, sure. I suppose you'd need to use tridef or some other 3D software, though.
    It accepts 60hz frame sequential (30fps/eye) or 60hz side-by-side or top/bottom (60hz per eye - 120hz total, but half the effective vertical or horizontal resolution as each frame is stretched).
    (I have not played this way, but i interpolate side-by-side 3D movies with SVP to 60fps=120fps in 3d, 60fps per eye, and it works fine and looks good).

I suppose you can also use 2d->3d conversion and get 120hz, 60fps per eye in 1080p (but probably adds some input lag, might not look as good etc).

The 3d is activated as a hardware function, so it behaves just like the samsung S27A950D for example (but at 60hz).

I can add that because of the eizo foris fg2421, i gave up on using the VT as a monitor and (happily) degraded it to tv. Simply had no luck at all with custom modes over 63hz.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  15. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

To add to the above::

Tridef doesnt allow NVidia cards to use full 1080p res at 60Hz.
    The max is 1/2 1080p res @ 60Hz.
    ie using SBS, OU or interleaved

Tridef with NVidia is great for 1080p interleaved 3D displays that max out at 60Hz regardless of res.
    Or for 3D projectors that max out at 60Hz @ 1080p 2D & 30Hz @1080p 3D, so will give 60Hz/eye @ 1/2 res 1080p 3D, using SBS or OU. They can often do 720p @120Hz too which is another way to get 1/2 res 3D @ 60Hz.
    (SBS = Side By Side, OU = Over Under)

LG 3D TVs use interlaced 3D and will accept OU and SBS signals too.
    But SBS looks worse than OU because the vertical res is ALWAYS half res, so if you halve the horizontal res instead of vertical (by using SBS mode), you end up with 1/4 1080p res as both axis are halved.

The Optoma HD25 / HD131X projectors use 1080p SBS, OU and 720p 3D to give 1/2 1080p res at 60Hz/eye.

16. Nielo TM

Nielo TM Gawd

I've just completed Goldeneye Reloaded, which runs at solid 60fps on the 360. I kept an eye out for sub-field warping and only noticed it once and it was extremely minor, Hardly with mentioning it. However, phosphor trailing and dithering were slightly more noticeable, but can be easily avoided by not tracking moment.

I've learned to unfocus during panning, so I don't usually see most of the artifacts on PDP. It's only when I track the motion I tend to notice the flaws.

17. androsforever

androsforever [H]Lite

Would this process work on a Samsung f8500?