Truck Owners Are Blocking Tesla Superchargers in "ICE-ing" Protests

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same reason there's a correlation between electric car owners and extreme arrogance. They're like the original prius owners from a decade ago, except now they have the internet to get outraged all over now.

The building my company is in install a few electric car charging stations. They also allow people limited free charging time.

We now have more electric cars then there are charging stations, so people are constantly watching for people to leave (like to lunch) so they can grab some free electricity.

So, these electric car owners not paying gas taxes to maintain the roads, they are getting large tax rebates for buying the electric cars, and now are getting free electricity to charge them. Guess that's what is need to make them cost effective. :rolleyes:
Can we say free-loaders?

Please point out these afford cards with 400 miles of electric range. I’ll wait...
Yeah, I saw that and went through the whole thread wondering if he would ever point out this affordable 400 mile range electric car. Still waiting.

Tesla model 3, 220 miles(there's a battery option that brings it to $53k for 310 miles)
Tesla model S, 250-315 but starts at $78k.
Nissan Leaf, 150 miles.
BMW i3, 110 miles.
Fiat 500e, 85 miles.
Kia Soul EV, 110 miles.
Chevy Bolt, 235 miles.

And that is of course all assuming it isn't cold, and that's looking at cars which run from $30-$45k which is generally considered "affordable". Most of those couldn't make a round trip commute for some people, and certainly aren't going to be replacing a vehicle used to actually haul anything(that's at least a few more years out), and a handful of them are cheap shitboxes I'd never want to spend any length of time in anyway.

I went from a 800hp ctsv to a model 3 performance awd. I dont miss the V one damn bit. I was sold immediately when I test drove the tesla and made the move as fast as possible. I figured eventually something like this would happen. I figured it would happen when gas was like 6 bucks a gallon.

I like the comment about a Dodge Ram, but picture shows a SD.

Probably a one time thing. I live in Central KY, lots of EV's here and LOTS of trucks. Have never witnessed this at all.

Some soyboy in his EV doesn't stand a chance against a hard working corn fed bubba. And even if he does, bubba is probably packing. So good luck soyboys.

A lot of hate in them words.

A $4.95 icepick (it's reusable) shoved into the sidewall of a $275 truck tire combined with a spritz of DOT 3 brake fluid (8oz for $5) on the painted parts will stop the morans from blocking the charging stations.

Its probably just one dude who did it and now they report it like its a country wide thing. What a load.

In every herd, there are always a few outliers. Usually the lions or equivelent eventually get them. Easy prey thing and all.

1:00 minute mark, white dodge, it actually looks like he was blocked into a legal parking space. Not really an excuse for the behaviour but can’t pretend I wouldn’t be pissed if I was blocked in like that. It’s not like being at a party with limited driveway space

Everyone can drive whatever they want. Global warming or the environment don't matter because life on Earth will not be based on biology much longer, it will all become machine-based soon enough and then the environment is irrelevant.

Such hate for truck owners. For the record, I own a truck and I would never give an electric vehicle room in my driveway. You will have to pry the steering wheel of my truck from my cold, dead hands.

So instead of embracing what is clearly the way forward from an energy perspective, you'd rather dig in and hold us back?

Because they'd never develop an electric based truck, right?

Not sure why people would care about electric vehicles unless its threatening your job
Because you people, those who drive electric vehicles are the main reason why the roads are going to shit. The simplest solution to fixing the crumbling road infrastructure is to implement a "gas saver" tax. If your vehicle averages over 25 mpg, then you pay a separate fee on your registration. It needs to punish those who drive fuel efficient vehicles, based upon the increased efficiency, for example 26-29 average mpg, an extra 150 per year on registration, 30 to 35 mpg, an extra 300 per year, 36-39, 500 per year, 40-45 750 per year, greater than 45 mpg, 1500 per year. Greater than 60, 5000 per year.
I would also advocate for licencing and registration fees for people who ride bicycles, over the age of 16.

Yeah this happend when automobiles first took off with horse carriage riders as well, the luddites felt threatened and started hassling drivers with their horses. Eventually it died off with the modernization, some backwards idiots of their time will not impeded the progress.

I would call on such vehicles as well, even if I wasn't parking there, just to help the town's progress - as well as income with some tickets and towing revenue.

Just wanna be machos trying to hide their low self esteem with such desperate antics, harassing others and messing with private property. Have them ticketed and arrested, crime doesn't pay.

Not too smart, when they smoke someone who doesnt give a s, and then responds in kind by punching the accelerator and running those trucks off the road. Its going to happen eventually, theres always a bigger idiot around.

Well, you can't pour sugar into a gas tank of an all electric car, but you can do it to trucks that fear human progress.

Because you people, those who drive electric vehicles are the main reason why the roads are going to shit. The simplest solution to fixing the crumbling road infrastructure is to implement a "gas saver" tax. If your vehicle averages over 25 mpg, then you pay a separate fee on your registration. It needs to punish those who drive fuel efficient vehicles, based upon the increased efficiency, for example 26-29 average mpg, an extra 150 per year on registration, 30 to 35 mpg, an extra 300 per year, 36-39, 500 per year, 40-45 750 per year, greater than 45 mpg, 1500 per year. Greater than 60, 5000 per year.
I would also advocate for licencing and registration fees for people who ride bicycles, over the age of 16.

Are you serious ? (The last part about bicycles I do agree though).
I think incentive to EV should be thrown away where electricity comes from dirty source (coal) but to tax car more because they consume less gaz is a strange stance at best. Better gaz consumption vehicule results in less environment impact (hybrid with their batteries are another story, you get the point).

And to be transparent, I drive a fusion sport and average around 14l/100km so about 17mpg (far from stellar, on premium).

Tesla owners throughout the country claim they’re being harassed by truck drivers who are evidently threatened by the advent and growing popularity of electric travel: in what is being dubbed “ICE-ing” (an acronym for “internal combustion engine”), owners of large, gas-dependent vehicles are going out of their way to piss Tesla drivers off by blocking Supercharger parking spots.

Tesla drivers are reporting a spate of "ICE-ing" by large trucks at Superchargers across the country. In one instance, Reddit user Leicina said a group of trucks blocked all of the charging spots while chanting "F Tesla" before being asked to leave by an employee of the store. Another Tesla owner in Bristol, Tennessee spotted a Dodge Ram truck blocking a charging spot, with the charging cable mockingly attached to the bed.

I dislike EV's for lots of reasons..practicality being one of the main ones. That said I still think people who do this kind of shit are giant douchebags. If you are threatened by an EV, you have some serious insecurity issues.

No.

I already pay fed income, state income, gas, state sales, county sales, property (almost 3% of house value) and a DAILY toll on my commute. I'm probably even forgetting a few...All of those are supposed to pay for road infrastructure. No new taxes until the existing collected taxes are used properly & for what they are intended.

Last edited:
Personally I hope biofuels are able to supplant fossil fuels. But I have no problem with electric vehicles if they're able to solve the drawbacks, namely range and charging time, and to a lesser extent cost. One of the fantasy builds I'm currently contemplating is making an AWD electric Lincoln Town Car, the sedan, not the fake SUV. Last of the big body on frame sedans, and pretty much the only "modern" sedan that can tow.
Just so long as you don't piss off the food is not fuel groups...

I think incentive to EV should be thrown away where electricity comes from dirty source (coal) but to tax car more because they consume less gaz is a strange stance at best. Better gaz consumption vehicule results in less environment impact (hybrid with their batteries are another story, you get the point).

And to be transparent, I drive a fusion sport and average around 14l/100km so about 17mpg (far from stellar, on premium).
I am absolutely serious. Coal has already been cleaned up. The constant pull on the electrical grid has far more immediate concerns for the environment from the potential of wild fires, brownouts, etc than gas guzzlers do. With the increase of "environmentally friendly" alternatives, i.e. wind, batteries, etc. zero has been done to study the long term consequences.
It's really comical to me that the "environmentalists" would rather we mine for rare earth minerals, who by their vary nature are less available than oil, and whose overall environmental impact is greater than drilling for dino juice. They want high power transmission lines, so they can feel better about themselves. Bees, birds, weather be damned. Let's put up the massive wind farms that pull moisture out of the air, change migratory patterns of birds, bees, etc. But hey, we're better than you dino guzzlers.

I think I would like driving a Tesla, but I want control over software updates and telemetry. Tesla is the Windows 10 of automobiles. I'll stick to my diesel pickup for now, plan to get a car for a daily driver in a couple of years.

Put some bullbars on your Tesla and let the sheer torque of it push those redneck tonka trucks out of the way.

I am absolutely serious. Coal has already been cleaned up. The constant pull on the electrical grid has far more immediate concerns for the environment from the potential of wild fires, brownouts, etc than gas guzzlers do. With the increase of "environmentally friendly" alternatives, i.e. wind, batteries, etc. zero has been done to study the long term consequences.
It's really comical to me that the "environmentalists" would rather we mine for rare earth minerals, who by their vary nature are less available than oil, and whose overall environmental impact is greater than drilling for dino juice. They want high power transmission lines, so they can feel better about themselves. Bees, birds, weather be damned. Let's put up the massive wind farms that pull moisture out of the air, change migratory patterns of birds, bees, etc. But hey, we're better than you dino guzzlers.

LOL.

You're funny.

As you argue this point, did it occur to you that the electricity for the computer, mobile devices, website, internet, and everything else used by everyone on the planet is likely more usage than the smattering of EV out there? With your logic, I hope to fuck you live in the dark. Otherwise you need to re-evaluate your stance.

LOL.

You're funny.

As you argue this point, did it occur to you that the electricity for the computer, mobile devices, website, internet, and everything else used by everyone on the planet is likely more usage than the smattering of EV out there? With your logic, I hope to fuck you live in the dark. Otherwise you need to re-evaluate your stance.

Well he has a point and no at the same time. Ir does use more electricity but getting the gaz at the pump must use some electricity so if we reduce our usage, it should reduce electricity usage at the same time and even out. I mentioned coal in my original reply because here we use hydro electricity which do have a print on the nature but is still very clean by itself. I would argue that EV make sense here while where coal is used to make electricity, it's a little less. Even with hydro to fill those battery, the process to make those batteries do have a big impact and the last time I read on it, those can't be recycled. I'm torn because on the internet you'll find a study to validate each side's point... Endless of variable make it difficult to analyze.

In the end, we need better solutions. I think EV is in the right direction but we need cleaner electricity and cleaner batteries. (I also wish to keep the fun in driving at the same time, please don't make all cars prius lol)

We have affordable e-cars knocking at 400mi range. I'd say the problem is pretty close to solved for all but the longest driving distances.

How much can you tow with an electric car and for what distance? I have a 8300# travel trailer and 4500# boat that get towed thousands of miles every year. Sometimes 700+ miles one way.

When there is an E-Truck that can tow 12,000# with a 500 mile range and 10 minute recharge I might consider giving up my truck. Until then, nope.

The way to troll is to make a power stroke Tesla.
As a guy who stuck an LS3 in a Honda in a country where that's almost unheard of, and wants to do a duramax 8.8 rolls royce, the tesla swap will be my money is no object goal, would be hilarious to stall it and make it faster than electric lol.
I also want to eswap a daily shitbox work car too.. Horses for courses.

This protest is bad optics, really seems pointless.

how many people here still get power from coal or will be for much longer? I know the major power company here that covers half the state is shutting down all its coal plants by the end of 2020. They have already shut down some and are slowly decreasing production at the others. They have stated it is cheaper to get power from wind and solar so they are switching to hydro, solar and wind for all their power. If that is the case here i would expect that to be the same just about anywhere.

I almost wonder how much of this is people "protesting" and how much is just people taking the spots closest to the door? I know around here, the EV chargers seem to be pretty much at the primo spots, right by the handicapped lanes.

how many people here still get power from coal or will be for much longer? I know the major power company here that covers half the state is shutting down all its coal plants by the end of 2020. They have already shut down some and are slowly decreasing production at the others. They have stated it is cheaper to get power from wind and solar so they are switching to hydro, solar and wind for all their power. If that is the case here i would expect that to be the same just about anywhere.

My whole state is still reliant on coal

Serious because the gas tax is supposed to pay for road infrastructure, and the less efficient the vehicle, the heavier it generally is, the more wear they put on the road and thus the more they pay. Electric vehicles are heavier than most ICEs of comparable size (4600-5000 lbs for a Model S, compared to 3800-4400 lbs for a BMW 5 series), and don't pay any of that tax. In addition to the tax incentives, the costs of owning an EV is artificially low as is.

No.

I already pay fed income, state income, gas, state sales, county sales, property (almost 3% of house value) and a DAILY toll on my commute. I'm probably even forgetting a few...All of those are supposed to pay for road infrastructure. No new taxes until the existing collected taxes are used properly & for what they are intended.

Not going to happen until the populace demands politicians to correct the broken government pension system. But most people are lemmings that believe their elected politicians can do no wrong and that it is the other politicians that are the problem.

Just so long as you don't piss off the food is not fuel groups...

Corn is probably the worst biofuel in terms of efficiency. There are already methods of extracting methane from what would normally be waste (95% of natural gas is methane), and the amount of methane that can be extracted from cow and pig manure alone can fulfill electrical needs. Garbage dumps and sewage treatment plants are also places where significant amounts of methane can be extracted. The problem (as is with all green technology) is cost efficiency. Also, the current green movement has essentially taboo'd any type of technology that burns fuel even if it comes from renewable sources.

LOL.

You're funny.

I have no illusion that the world is enslaved to electricity. Homes, computers, etc are becoming more efficient - we've replace incandecent bulbs with leds, tube tvs replaced with lcd - oleds, etc. As a society we are moving towards less use of electricity, lets not reverse that trend by encouraging the production of electric vehicles. I absolutely detest the fact that we use food as an addative for gas, infact I almost exclusively use ethanol free gas, sure it costs more, but I believe we should use food to feed people. All of that corn should be packaged up and sent to impoverished nations in trade for minerals and oil rights.

Ya that happened.

Why do the rednecks in these fake stories always use antifa tactics?

The college psychologist in me says there is a deeper truth here.

Not going to bother reading the article, but if the headline is remotely accurate it sounds like a bunch of asshats doing their thing. Yes I think Tesla is a stupid brand with a cult-like following, and I have very VERY little respect for Elon Musk, but preventing people from using the chargers is just a jackass move. Grow up and take your silly trucks off-road already. I'm surprised Tesla drivers didn't just call the cops and claim they think there might be a drug deal going down. I'm sure one of those potatoes had a warrant or was carrying a firearm illegally, and even if not it's a pretty easy ticket for loitering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back