Troubleshooting Some DDR3 RAM on X58

the.ronin

Limp Gawd
I need some feedback on my troubleshooting process for determining if my RAM has gone bad. It is an i7 920 system on a EVGA X58 SLI3 mobo using 6x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz RAM (triple channel sold in 2 packs of 3 RAM each). OS is Win 10 Pro X64 v16299. The system is only recognizing 6GB of the 12GB at best. So I did the following test ...

1) First I tried reseating the CPU 3 times and checking the connectors to see if there was anything odd or broken. This solved nothing.

2) Then, I rearranged the RAM and noticed that I would sometimes see only 2GB or 4GB of the 12GB suggesting it is either the mobo or RAM.

3) I started with 1x random stick in Slot 1 - that worked.

4) I put RAM with the same part # ending "...00C8" (they were sold in packs of 3 as triple channel) in Slots 1, 3, and 5 (this is a triple channel mobo) - that worked and all 6GB was used.

5) I put RAM from the other part # eding "...0C8D" in the same Slots 1, 3, and 5 - this did not work and BIOS would not boot.

6) I put each RAM ending 0C8D in Slot 1 one by one and powered up - the computer would not boot into BIOS all the same on each of these sticks.

Can it really be that all 3 of the 0C8D set no longer work?? I do notice that while both sets have the same ratings, they are two different versions and the working version has an extra 5-pin connector on the right side. I've included closeup pics of both part numbers.

ram.jpg

I am considering just getting 2x 4GB replacement RAM but I'm not sure the extra 2GB and the current inflated prices make it worth it.

By way of background, this is my old i7 920 build and I've since upgraded to a Ryzen. But I wanted to salvage this system for my mom since she has a very crappy setup right now. I've got the i7 OC'ed to 3.5 cooled on a Rosewill heatsink and IBT stable on standard stress test (80C-ish max). It's got a very old school Radeon 6540 for an AOC 1366x768 monitor. It's got a single 1TB sata6 HDD. Nothing great but perefect for my mom's web browsing, facebooking, and emailing.

It just seems to run very sluggish for me even with the OC at 6GB of recognized RAM. But I am used to my gaming computer with 16GB of DDR4 and SSD speeds so maybe it's just me.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

6g vs 8-12g wont make a noticeable difference unless the system runs out of ram just leave it running on 6g
if it doesn't have a ssd your cash would be better spent there

Back