[Troubleshooting] Installed Sapphire R9 290, no output

Morphx2

Gawd
Hi everyone

My old GPU was a Radeon 6850 and upgraded to a Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 last night.

Upon installation, there is no video output through DVI or HDMI I can not get to Windows or even see any start-up screen at all.

My motherboard is a MSI P67A-C45.
My power supply is an OCZ700MXSP
Processor: 2500K
Ram: 8 GB (4x2)

The power is hooked up to the R9 correctly (1 6-pin and 1 6+2 pin). All the fans on the GPU spin too.

I tried uninstalling the old ATI software/drivers and putting in the new card; same thing.
Put back in the Radeon 6850 and it has fine output

I did the motherboard BIOS update through MSI Live and it says it installed it, but i have doubts. My next thing to do is try to update the bios manually

After that....no idea

I do not have another power supply I can try (only a 350 watt one)
I do not have another PCI-express slot i can try
I do not have another computer I can try.
This morning I looked at it again; usually Windows 8.1 upon loading, before entering the password for my computer, the internet would connect. The USB wireless adapter has no green light, so I am assuming it does not even get that far with the new GPU installed. Maybe it is stuck somewhere in BIOS and wont go past it?

Installing the old GPU once again works fine. Any ideas?
I am running out besides updating the BIOS manually.

had that initially when trying to install a R9 290 PCS+ where it was black screen from boot to Windows while the fans were spinning

tried the video card on an older PC & mobo and it booted up fine

went back to the current PC and solution was to make sure the PCIe power cables were plugged in 100%

reseat the power connectors. if you have another cable, swap it out. Switch the 6 in in the 6+2 with the other.

tried switching the 6 and 6+2 on PSU and graphic card, no luck

power cables are all secure too

No other cables

I have not tried resetting the CMOS yet

The R9 290 may be trying to use a different output than what you're using. Have you tried any of the other video ports? be it HDMI or the DP?

Yes, tried DVI and HDMI

i have no display port in any monitors/tvs (or the cable)

it seems not even starting windows either, it just sits there with everything moving

i know it is not starting windows because the USB wireless adapter's LED does not even turn on

totally sucks not being able to fire up the pc with another card installed as well....it really limits your ability to troubleshoot further, like checking for a newer bios.....but it sounds like you have tried everything possible on your end. If its new at lest you can swap or return the card.
I do have to agree with who ever mentioned resetting the cmos after verifying its running latest board bios. This is something i would try for sure

Last edited:
Newer bios sir, many many p67 era boards will not boot with newer AMD / nVidia cards. I've found that on many an old PC, (Mine included! The mighty 2700k is ancient now!), I had to update the bios also.

That board has two BIOS releases for it. One is for Ivy Bridge and the other is for CPUs up to Sandy Bridge (2500K). Putting the Ivy Bridge BIOS on with a Sandy CPU screw stuff up.

Back