Troubleshooting in wall e-net (rental house)

VladDracule

[H]ard|Gawd
My rental house is wired with ethernet in every room, problem is, it doesnt work. Ive tried connecting my modem to the wall, and a laptop directly into the switch, nothing. Also tried connecting the modem directly into the switch and then tested the rooms and again nothing. Im also pretty sure i even tested directly into the switch the modem, and laptop into same switch and didnt get anything. Is there some way for me to test if there is ANY signal at all getting through these switches? Ive contacted the land lord and they dont seem very interested in helping us resolve the issue (its a rental company hired by the owners, not the owners themselves)

Network cable tester. Verify the runs.

I'm pretty sure You need a router before the switch to get the internet pushed through, so a modem directly into an unmanaged switch won't cut it.

If you are trying Internet connectivity, disconnect the Ethernet from your modem, then reboot your modem. Connect your computer directly to the modem and test Internet connectivity. If that doesn't work, then you're not dealing with the switch or the wiring, but the modem and it's connection. If that works, and your modem does not have a built-in router, you will need one connected between the modem and the switch. What brand and model of modem do you have?

I don't know if ive done it that way, modem -> router -> switch. If I test that directly into the board and it works I'm assuming it would be the same with the wall jacks? Id need to go Modem->router->wall jack -> other wall jacks? Ouch, I was hoping to be able to run the modem into the wall directly so I can have it in a separate room from where I keep my router to hardware all my equipment to save some desk space

You can still do it the way you want. You just patch from panel port to the ROUTER wan and the router lan port to the switch. You then patch the other rooms from the panel to switch. If you think about the connectins logically it isn't hard to visualize.

If you don't have a cable tester but do have two switches, you can do a basic cable function check. Have one switch in the 'hub closet'. Connect a cable to the switch. When you plug the 2nd switch into the room jack being tested, you should get a light on the 2nd switch. Not a full cable check but if you can get 2 switches to talk to each other the wiring should work. Your router likely has a built in switch. If so, it could serve as the 1st switch.

Back