Troubleshooting ICS on a wired/wireless network

melissa

n00b
Here's the deal...
I have 2 computers, both running Windows XP Pro. I have a belkin 4-port wireless router connected (via ethernet cable) to computer A. I also have a dial-up modem connected to computer A (laugh it up... it's my only option out here). I have a wireless network card in computer B. B can see A, I can share files and printers just fine, and I ran the Windows Network Wizard to try to get B to be able to use the dial-up connection, but it just won't work.

If anyone can guide me through it over AIM, and get my dial-up connection working on both computers, I'll pay you $5 via paypal. $5 can buy you something fancy... so c'mon, help a girl out.

Come on you guys... I'm in a Microsoft Support chat with Mohamed... it's been 35 minutes and we're still at "can you tell me how many computars you want to connect"... it's a fuckin joke!

You can run a proxy server on the computer with the internet connection; it's not quite the same, but it'll still share the internet. Squid will do this fine. If you want to do it the ICS way, though, try a tutorial on how to do this.

Either way, if that doesn't resolve the issue post back and I'll help you out.

Well, when you are using ICS on computer A, it will install a DHCP server. So, you probably have two DHCP servers running: Computer A and the router. I would disable the DHCP server on the router. You need to pull an IP from computer A. If you run "ipconfig /all" you can see what your current DHCP server is.

Yes, the Belkin router.....change its mode to "Access Point'...combined with the above post....the router is running DHCP. It's handing out IP information including ITSELF as the gateway...which you do not want. You want your dial up box to the the gateway. So Computer B is trying to go out the wrong door...a door that's not open. It's also handing itself out as DNS..and it's a dead end DNS.

Back