Troubleshooting Help

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
OK. I hope this is in the right place -- near as I can tell [H] doesn't have a General Troubleshooting forum. I'm pretty sure my problem isn't hardware anyways. Not 100%. About 75%.

System -- Dell Inspiron 6400. I did not leave off an "E" ;) It's had some upgrades tho.
CPU = Core2Duo T7200
RAM = 3gb DDR-400 (Dell says 2gb max, chipset says 4gb max, Dell didn't do anything to stop me)
HDD = 250gb SATA (that's all I know) from eBay like a year ago
Intel Integrated Crap Graphics (I don't game anyways
Net card = Intel 6250 WiMAX PCIe Mini Card (also eBay)

I'm running 32bit XP Home SP3 with all latest updates. No, I'm not upgrading. Please don't waste your keystrokes. If I change OSes it'll be to Puppy Linux and I'm not really ready to make that jump yet. For the really technical: About Windows says "Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.130107-0416 : Service Pack 3)". (2600?! Does Atari know about this...? LOL.)

I've replaced the keyboard (one key kept falling off) and the BIOS batt in the past but I really don't think those matter here.

Symptoms --

- Avast! Free AV wouldn't open. Some sort of config error in AvastUI.exe. Re-downloaded the installer. Runtime error unpacking it. Just now, downloaded installer on another system, ran it from a flash drive. Avast! Free now opens its UI. (It was gloriously out-of-date anyways.)
- Internet, and my computer in general, is REALLY FUCKING SLOW. Pages don't want to load, and when Chrome is open, the computer is sloth-on-serious-weed slow. I'm not noticing extra HDD access.
- Every time I close and reopen Chrome (eg on reboot) whether or not I've used CCleaner, I have to delete one of the cookies that Google stores, or I get some sort of error when I try to do a websearch. (IIRC it's an HTTP 18. Something about a socket not connected.) BTW, Chrome is set not to save sessions.

Steps I've taken that have not resolved my problem --
- Ran a MalwareBytes Anti Malware scan. Neither a fast scan nor a full scan found anything (I updated the database first, of course).
- Memtest86+ ran one full pass, no errors.
- A nifty trick my local tech uberguru taught me: booted into a linux distro via livecd. Opened terminal (having mounted the hard drive) and commanded it to cat /dev/sda/ > /dev/null -- took about an hour, but no read errors so probably not a physical drive issue.

I'd like to avoid taking this thing to my local tech uberguru. He's real nice and won't make me give him money (probably) but the thought of being without my main system for a day or two gives me the jibblies -- particularly since my spare system is an Asus netbook literally one half the size of my laptop!

Any suggestions before I turn the Dell over to Mr. Tech UberGuru tomorrow evening? The "deadline" (for lack of a better term) is 3pm tomorrow, US Eastern Time.

A bit more info -- I routinely have my wireless card give me "1Mbps" speeds or thereabouts and "Low" signal when I'm trying to do something, and "72Mbps" and "Very Good" or "Excellent" when idle. I'm not sure what the heck is going on there.

Also -- System Restore is turned off right now. Mr Tech UberGuru suggested I use it. Oh well.

Why do I call him that? He's the only person I know who can make me look computer retarded when he opens his mouth. I'm pretty hefty in the nerd dept., but he's got me beat flat just by breathing.

open task manager and see if there is a specific process eating up a lot of CPU when it's running slow.

wireless issue sounds like either wireless interference (odd coincidence when rate drops) or possibly driver issues.

would stil be worth running a chkdsk to verify there are no corrupt files (which could cause the issue of Avast not running, and an error after re-downloading the installer).

Is there a free chkdsk-like program that does not litter my hard drive with tons of ****.chk files for me to ID, patch together, and make useful again? I really have a deep loathing for that sort of behavior -- and I think that's quite reasonable.

Dunno how to do that, and it's sadly past the deadline. I'll be on my way to do errands (including dropping the laptop off with the tech dude) in a little bit...

Mods can close this thread, there's no point now.

Is there a free chkdsk-like program that does not litter my hard drive with tons of ****.chk files for me to ID, patch together, and make useful again? I really have a deep loathing for that sort of behavior -- and I think that's quite reasonable.

use the Windows chkdsk
If you get "littered with tons of ****.chk files for you to id" then you have data corruption that very well could be caused by either the HDD or even HDD controller

Back