vidoprof

Limp Gawd
So I bought all the components for a build in my last thread

M.2 Samsung drive
5960X
GTX960
64GB 2400 DDR4 Ram
Noctua n-15

I didn't get a power supply (I forgot to order one... I know....) So i went to best buy and got a Corsair CX850 modular one. It was the best I could find.

I put most of it together power it on.. Nothing.. I do get the little red light saying the MB is getting power but when I put the Power SW plug in and hit the power button nothing.

I take everything out and only have 1 Ram stick in A1, the CPU, M.2. I try and it gets a little juice and I see red flashing lights around the MOBO, but the fan on the PS doesn't turn on nor does the fan on the CPU. I take off the headsink.. I reseat everything.

The 24pin mobo power is seated correctly, the CPU is reseated properly, the 8pin power is seated in there, I only have the CPU (without any heatsink on it), 1 ram stick, and that it's and still no fan on the PS will do anything.. I only have that one single little light on the MOBO on the bottom right corner glowing red (telling me it's getting power) but NOTHING.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Could it be a bad board? Bad CPU? Bad PS? I don't really have another power supply to try (but I am going to buy one here soon, but does it matter what I get REALLY FOR NOW to test? I will eventually get the Corsair AX 850 or 750 to run it, but I can't find that locally.

Thanks everyone.

Ryan G

If you are testing with a single memory module it needs to be in slot D1. Also you need to plug in the 4 pin and the 8 pin power plugs as well as the 24 pin power plug or it will not boot.

Thanks for the reply Tom. The manual and everywhere I was able to find said the additional 4 pin adapter is really only for overclocking for more power. Is that wrong?

I will check that D1 slot, I just figured it would go in A1. Odd, I guess I overlooked that. Thanks.

One more question: With the GTX960 there is a splitter that wants two 6 pin power, can I get by with 1-6pin? I don't have a way to get 2-6 pins as the power supply doesn't have additional power slots, thoughts on what I can do? It's the Corsair cx850.

Thanks
Ryan G

The 24pin mobo power is seated correctly, the CPU is reseated properly, the 8pin power is seated in there, I only have the CPU (without any heatsink on it), 1 ram stick, and that it's and still no fan on the PS will do anything.. I only have that one single little light on the MOBO on the bottom right corner glowing red (telling me it's getting power) but NOTHING.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a genius, but I wouldn't try turning on a new computer without a HSF on the CPU.

Have you tried shorting the power pin directly with a screwdriver or something without using the case switch?

The manual and everywhere I was able to find said the additional 4 pin adapter is really only for overclocking for more power. Is that wrong?

Nothing in the manual tells me that the 4 pin is optional. I base my opinion on the following statement from page 1-34 of the manual.

"DO NOT forget to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX12 V power plug. Otherwise, the
system will not boot."

Nothing in the manual tells me that the 4 pin is optional. I base my opinion on the following statement from page 1-34 of the manual.

"DO NOT forget to connect the 4-pin/8-pin EATX12 V power plug. Otherwise, the
system will not boot."

I have the 8-pin connected and DO NOT have the 4-pin connected and I boot without issue and have been using my X99 Sabertooth for 5 months.

I do believe based on that statement that it's IF you don't have the 8pin you should power the 4 pin, but if you have the 8pin use that one, not necessarily both. That was my understanding.

IF you want a big Overclock THEN you should have both because you might need more juice.

I have tried the shorting the pin thing and NOTHING.. I connected it to the case led and still nothing..

Just wondering if anyone came to a different conclusion that it's a bad board.

I already tried a different power supply and that didn't work either (plus there is the little motherboard light that comes on when I put power to it... but nothing else).

Anything else?

Thanks
Ryan G

If you swapped out all the parts and you still can't get it to work, then it must be the MB.

Back