Troubleshooting dead laptop

soupcxan

Limp Gawd
I have a 2 year old Inspiron 15 5568 2-in-1 that just randomly died one day. When you plug the AC adapter in, the light on the AC adapter turns off (indicating a short?). I can't get any lights or fans or other signs of life on the laptop.

I removed the battery, held down the power button for 15 seconds, removed the RAM and the SSD and then tried the AC adapter again but still no change.

Is there any other troubleshooting that I can try or is the main board just dead?

Most likely a dead motherboard.

If you are lucky, it is just a short in the plug on the laptop.. and if you are even more lucky, the plug is a separate little module that you can replace.

I haven't worked on an Inspiron in quite a few years so not sure how the new ones are designed.

I will say that the Latitude line was way, way ,way more reliable than the Inspiron line back in the day.

remove battery plug in and if it powers up, you know that it is one of 2 things

Charge circuit or dead battery

Most likely a dead motherboard.

If you are lucky, it is just a short in the plug on the laptop.. and if you are even more lucky, the plug is a separate little module that you can replace.

I haven't worked on an Inspiron in quite a few years so not sure how the new ones are designed.

I will say that the Latitude line was way, way ,way more reliable than the Inspiron line back in the day.
I have a latitude 2-1 7285 and the battery took at dump at 11 months old... waiting for the coffin now....

Back