troubleshoot: windows 10 clean install 1909 on nvme drive 970 evo plus. Can power on/off, but not restart

Kdawg

[H]ard|Gawd
annoying behavior with this 970 evo plus nvme ssd.

I clean installed windows 1909 on the ssd, and the restart function does not boot to desktop.
It seems like it doesn't even load windows after the reboot command is run. Bios load finishes, but there are no spinning dots indicating that Windows is loading. It's just the bios logo, static image.

I need to ctrl-alt-del at the bios boot sequence to restart bios and kick start windows.

clean installed Ubuntu restarts just fine every time on the ssd.
windows on hdd reboots just fine as well.
So this issue is definitely some shit with Windows and nvme ssds

Before this restart problem, I was on 1709, which I cloned with Macrium (and somehow got working after boot repair) to the ssd from the original hdd.
This did not have restart issues.

However, oddly, clean installing 1709 on ssd results in abnormal reboot behavior.
In fresh 1709, the first restart will work. But try to restart a second time, and it will hang after the bios boot sequence, requiring a hard power off/on.

Has anyone experienced this shit with Windows 10 and nvme ssd?

I have an asus GL502vm laptop, 6700hq, gtx1060, 970 evo plus 1tb nvme.

Sounds like a driver issue. Have you installed the latest NVMe driver from their support page? Also, make sure you install the latest chip set driver from Asus's site.

No idea if this is related, but I have a much older Dell Precision m6600 laptop, and a cold boot will be fine, but if I try to restart it for any reason, the POST will just hang for a long time before it reports there's no bootable storage. I have to power it off and on to get it working. I haven't had time/motivation to troubleshoot it, but I am guessing it's either the SSD (an old 512GB SATA) or just a weirdness with this laptop.

Windows 10 has always come with a native NVMe driver. I've had ThinkPads and Dells with NVME come through at work and never seen this driver experience any kind of platform issues.

yeah. I had the latest samsung drivers, chipset drivers, laptop bios firmware.
newest intel rst drivers. everything latest.

but the restart would fail unless I ctrl-alt-del at bios logo screen.

If i disabled secure boot, I could reboot 1909 once. But if I try to reboot a second time, it would just load a blank blue screen

as a last resort, i'm going to wipe the whole ssd and start over, though I don't have high hopes.

I had a data partition on the ssd which I did not wipe when clean installing windows to the OS partition that used to be occupied by 1709.

Before installing 1909, I deleted all the non-data partitions and had 90gb of unallocated space. Windows installer created the efi/recovery/msr partitions and installed just fine.

I guess i'm not surprised Ubuntu just works and Windows doesn't.
But it is annoying that I have 1909 running perfectly on an oldass 2009 MSI laptop with a Celeron, and a 2012 lenovo.

I ran into this problem somewhere when I was searching for a solution for another problem. If I remember what was the cause that time I'll let you know. It was something fairly simple but annoyingly hard to find.

Edit: Some users had to do a couple of reboots with the 'fast startup' option unchecked after which they could reboot normally. Also some have had to disable the Intal management engine (if you have the option).

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/19805-windows-10-wont-do-restart-2.html?s=56e8d2dd4e433ad16af539190eec7161 said:
Solution: From a windows cmd prompt (Run as Administrator) execute the command "bcdboot C:\windows". Following a short burst of disk activity, I received a message of success. Machine now reliably starts and restarts without any problems.

Discussion: Reading a description of the bcdboot command on the Microsoft website is worthwhile and enlightening. For me it was important to read descriptions for all the command switches event though none were required. What I learned is that with UEFI there is a protected spot on the disk drive that contains boot information. This area is apparently separate from the boot information contained in the firmware UEFI. Apparently, during a cold start, the firmware UEFI is read for boot information, but during a hot start (i.e., a restart) boot information in the UEFI firmware is not used. Instead boot information in the protected area is used, and for my machine that information had somehow gotten corrupted.

Last edited:
Yeah I've seen stuff like this when it comes to power saving/sleep options as well which is normally resolved by installing chipset INF's and storage drivers, but I suspect you are on the right track.

OP May also want to reset BIOS to optimized defaults and play with disabling CPU power saving features in BIOS to see if it fixes it.

Back