Troubleshoot triple SLI GTX580 shutdown

Colonel_Panic

Limp Gawd
A friend and I have been scratching our heads about why his computer is shutting down when pushing lots of pixels. Within minutes of starting up the Heaven benchmark, it reboots, and this behaviour repeats for other high graphics applications.

He moved from a 1kW to 1.2kW PSU, and the problem has persisted. For normal operation SLI is disabled, so it only shuts down when SLI is on. Since PSU didn't change, we were thinking drivers, but having just now installed nvidia 285.xx drivers, the problem is still here. Suggestions? Where can we look next?

Specs
  • i7 930 stock speed
  • ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard
  • 12GB Corsair RAM
  • 3x EVGA GTX580 video cards
  • 1250W Corsair PSU
  • watercooled everything

I'm having the same problem as well. My Motherboard is a P6X58D-E and when I try sli it shuts down. 2 x 470 Asus GTX, 850 PSU.

I'm having the same problem as well. My Motherboard is a P6X58D-E and when I try sli it shuts down. 2 x 470 Asus GTX, 850 PSU.

Its funny you should mention that setup, because I was having the same issue with almost the same setup (signature rig) and since moving from 850W to a 1kW PSU, the problem has gone away. BF2 works great now, where before it would reboot during particularly graphics-heavy scenes.

What about when you only have two 580s plugged/seated in?

Earlier today we tried setting the cards into 2xSLI + dedicated PhysX and the problem persisted. This probably isn't the same as physically removing a card, so that's probably what's next.

Run memtest on the ram. Make sure ram is in the correct slots if your not populating all the slots. Many motherboard have a specific spot where your supposed to put your ram.

Leave only 1 graphics card in the system and run some benchmarks, do this with each card and see if there is a card that is unstable. Also look for inconsistent scores. All cards should score close to each other.

If the memory and the cards all test okay I'm gonna suggest you RMA the motherboard.. You've already ruled out the PSU.

Unless you bought a cheap 1.2kw power supply that's worse than your 1kw. What type of power supply you get?

It's a Corsair 1.2kW PSU, so brand shouldn't be a problem. I might try putting my Kill-A-Watt-type meter up to the PC and see what it's pulling at the wall.

I hope I am not stealing this thread but I am having that same issue ever since the new drivers. I have been pushing my cards hard before with 3d vision and all. Is 850w PSU enough for SLi 470, i7, 6 gig? Why would it just start happening now?

I think 1kw would be prefered for 470 SLI

@Colonel Panic I would like to know how much power the watercooling rig is pulling.
With 3x 580s your already pulling close to 800 watts
your i7 is another 130 watts

I would bet though its a bad card, but figuring out which one will be the hard part.

Sounds like unstable card. You should be able to find out which one it is by running OCCT or Kombustor on each card in turn for 30 mins each. The faulty card should in theory, reboot within seconds, if it does so within minutes on a heaven benchmark.

Back