Troubles :(

Shyne151

Limp Gawd
Ok so the computer techs at school couldn't figure out this, so they thought maybe I could but I'm completely stumped.

One of the teacher aide ladies has a wireless network at her house. Four port router with 802.11b... she has two comupters plugged into the router and one upstairs trying to connect wifi.

The computer upstairs was up and running on the network for three months then supposidly out of hte blue it didn't work anymore. I go over there tried everything I can think of.

Did renew, release, renew, blah blah blha. Pulled the card, reset it, put ANOTHER card in. Had both a BRAND NEW netgear and the old Dlink card in neither would get an IP. They won't even recieve any packets, yet windows said it is connected to the network.

Now its not hte router because I took my R40 with me and connected the network fine got an IP and all... Any ideas??

Originally posted by Shyne151
Ok so the computer techs at school couldn't figure out this, so they thought maybe I could but I'm completely stumped.

One of the teacher aide ladies has a wireless network at her house. Four port router with 802.11b... she has two comupters plugged into the router and one upstairs trying to connect wifi.

The computer upstairs was up and running on the network for three months then supposidly out of hte blue it didn't work anymore. I go over there tried everything I can think of.

Did renew, release, renew, blah blah blha. Pulled the card, reset it, put ANOTHER card in. Had both a BRAND NEW netgear and the old Dlink card in neither would get an IP. They won't even recieve any packets, yet windows said it is connected to the network.

Now its not hte router because I took my R40 with me and connected the network fine got an IP and all... Any ideas??

Let's start w/ the Basics...What OS does it have? Did she recently install a client FW (ie.Zone Alarm, McAfee Internet Protection, etc..) If she has WinXP look in the Network Properties, and check if she has the XP FW enabled.

Secondly, does she have ICS setup?:confused: If so disable it. Also, is she using WEP? Let me know...

Here comes the info requested:

It is an XP Home box.

One netgear card and one dlink card.

No ICS.

There is an error when I try to renew the IP... Socket 3 or something I believe(the computer isn't here she wouldn't let me take it).

While tanning today I did think of the damn annoying mcaffee bs updates that were popping up so maybe she does have mcaffee firewall or some bs. But if thats not hte problem, any other ideas?

Also no WEP and the router is not restricted by MAC either.

It will pick up the network, it just isn't receiving any packets. But yet my R40 with its centrino wifi picks it up and receives packets and an IP fine.

Back