Trouble with WEP key on laptop

bordes

Gawd
Hello,

I'm having a problem connecting my laptop to the wireless router. It worked before with a WPA passwords, but I have to use WEP key now in order for another piece of hardware to connect(the other piece of hardware works but my laptop won't!).

I followed this basic tutorial here to set it up through windows xp:

http://help.isu.edu/index.php?action=knowledgebase&catid=&docid=849;sec_id=104

However, when I try to connect to my router, winblows xp just says "not connected", nor prompts me to enter a WEP key or anything.

I wanted to know, if there's a step I may be skipping in order to get my laptop connected.

Any advice is much appreciated.

My router is: LINKSYS WRT54GL IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.11b/g Wireless-G

&

My wireless card is: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG

Thanks

Are you using the Intel ProSet utility or the windows wireless zero config utility? You may just need to delete your old wireless settings and the connect to it like its a "new" network.

Also, WEP is broken and isn't really all that secure. I would only use WEP if there is no other way to get this new device connected. Just my two cents :D

Using windows to connect. How would I delete my old settings?

I'm only using WEP because my son in law's nintendo DS only accepts WEP keys to connect.

There's an option, under the properties of the WLAN adapter, for Advance Settings or Wireless Networks or something like that... Don't have XP on right now so I don't remember right off hand.

Edit- Actually I found it in that link, they've got a picture:
WEP_XP_Wireless_Networks.jpg

That's assuming you're using the built in XP wireless management and not a third-party driver's one.

Just remove it in there.

is the authentication set to open or shared on the wep key?

try making a new key on the router and setting everything to that new key.

Back