trouble with older vid card

Snakebyt

[H]ard|Gawd
vid card freaks out and crashes, only when loading or playing a game. have been using for the last year with no problems, nothing has changed. doing nothing different at all, works just fine till i try to load or play any game. Card just going out?
it is a radeon 6800, i know old card, just not in the budget to upgrade right now.

any suggestions on why it started all the sudden and only when i load or play a game?

link to exact card
https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/EAH6850_DC2DIS1GD5/

Last edited:
Card dirty and getting too hot? Power supply beginning to die? Driver corrupted?

Those are my guesses.

just cleaned card, no overheating issues, replaced power supply a month ago.. trying to find a driver for this, but its an older card and having trouble finding anything updated

Been there many times... downclock the card and test for stability is my first go to, then you can try the other way if need be, bump the voltage a little and see if it smooths out.

If card temps are good and you recently replaced the PSU....

Simplyfun's recommendation of fiddling with voltage is your next best bet.

Honestly though, in my opinion, it sounds like the card is on its way out..

I've got a 6950 2GB collecting dust.... It's yours if you want it *minus shipping costs

I will Defenatly take that card off your hands, email me the info snakebyt[at]gmail.com

I installed newer beta drivers and tried it. Same thing... Not trying to keep it from crashing as soon as windows boots up

Last edited:
Back