trouble with Firefox .9/Flash/WinXP

deuce868

Gawd
I just upgraded to firefox .9 and I installed the flash player to the plugins folder. I have a getflash.exe in there and such. Now when I come to this site I keep getting asked what program to open the flash ad at the top of the page on each and every page. If I tell it to open it in firefox it opens a new browser and loads the flash so I know flash is working. It just won't open it on the existing page correctly.

I have done a complete reinstall of firefox to no avail. Anyone else having this problem on Win XP machine?

I thought it was just me. I'm having the same problems. Kinda annoying because I like this version of Firefox better than 0.8.

Hoping for some help here as well.

I had the same problem, I went to forums.stangnet.com and it installed the correct flash player automatically. Worked fine after that.

Milenko said:
I had the same problem, I went to forums.stangnet.com and it installed the correct flash player automatically. Worked fine after that.

Thanks, but that didn't do anything.

I had the same problem too, which is why I went back to IE. I'm waiting until Firefox (or whatever the hell they call it by then) hits 1.0. I love Firefox but it is still too damn buggy, getting much better though.

I am not sure what happened, but I got it working. I removed the three files from the plugins directory and reinstalled the flash plugin. After that it was still not working on this site so I just gave up and kept hitting cancel. A few hours later when I was on the site again I noticed that it was working.

I know computers only do what you tell them to...sometimes they must choose not to listen for a while as well.

This was the first annoyance that I've ever ran into with Firefox because I visit these forums daily. Anyways, it's working fine now. Doesn't ask me to download the SWF file anymore. I think it was the flash banner itself and not Firefox's fault.;)

S1nF1xx said:
I had the same problem too, which is why I went back to IE. I'm waiting until Firefox (or whatever the hell they call it by then) hits 1.0. I love Firefox but it is still too damn buggy, getting much better though.
Firefox was buggy...so you went back to IE.

Huh.

i ran into the same problem. i believe it is something with how the flash is being delivered from the site and not an issue with firefox at all. i changed nothing on my system at all, and i am no longer prompted about what to do with the flash file.

Have you guys restarted since you installed 0.9? I had the same problem until I restarted, now everything's running fine.

S1nF1xx said:

I haven't run into a single bug yet. My flash works fine.

I had no problems at all installing the flash plugin from the macromedia site for firefox .9 ... sounds to me like you messed something up, no idea what though. all that matters is that its working now. and for all those other people who are having problems with firefox, I havnt had any problems yet(installed .9 yesterday morning from .8).

I have no problems with Flash and 0.9 Firefox. You don't have to manually install anything into the plugins folder, you just go to shockwave.com and find their software for Netscape/Firefox, then execute it.

Back