Trouble with file transfer permissions

funkydmunky

2[H]4U
Hi there. Just taking an educated guess as to which forum to ask for help in regards to my problem. If there is a more appropriate forum please let me know.
Okay I have a failing 1.5TB drive that I have taken out and plugged into an external USB adapter in an effort to save the media files.
I can get the drive to spin-up and am able to play the files fine. Problem is when I go to transfer them it succeeds %90 then a message pops up saying "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder" Continue/Skip/Cancel.
If I click continue it restarts the progress bar from zero, but progress goes very rapid (a few seconds). The file shows up on the transfer to drive but when I launch it I get the message "file not found". Again it plays fine on the original drive.
I have gone into security and share settings and made sure to remove any restrictions.
I have resorted to transferring single files to try to avoid complications but received the exact same results.

Any help in these regards would be very appreciated.

Install the drive directly in a PC to recover files.
You are adding another unknown with a drive caddy.

If that doesnt help, try copying the files off with a system backup program, hoping it can worm its way past the problem parts of the drive.
This will bypass most security issues in making the copy.
Once restored to a good drive you may be able to gain access again.
ie its possible the security issue is due to corruption, or is a real security issue but is unable to be resolved while using the OS file system tools on the corrupt drive.

Thanks for you help Nenu. I was using an external plugin because I had to manipulate the drive into spinning up. Flipping, banging, turning on its side etc....
So I plugged it back in the original machine but kept it on the outside with lengthily cables so I could manipulate it to spin-up. Copying files as I type and they are verified working. I never thought that having it in the original machine would matter. Now I have one more trick in my HDD salvaging play-book.
Cheers!

Reactions: Nenu
like this
Hi! Captain obvious here:

Make a regular backup plan from now on.

Back