Trouble with file transfer permissions

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by funkydmunky, Aug 13, 2019.

1. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Hi there. Just taking an educated guess as to which forum to ask for help in regards to my problem. If there is a more appropriate forum please let me know.
    Okay I have a failing 1.5TB drive that I have taken out and plugged into an external USB adapter in an effort to save the media files.
    I can get the drive to spin-up and am able to play the files fine. Problem is when I go to transfer them it succeeds %90 then a message pops up saying "You'll need to provide administrator permission to copy this folder" Continue/Skip/Cancel.
    If I click continue it restarts the progress bar from zero, but progress goes very rapid (a few seconds). The file shows up on the transfer to drive but when I launch it I get the message "file not found". Again it plays fine on the original drive.
    I have gone into security and share settings and made sure to remove any restrictions.
    I have resorted to transferring single files to try to avoid complications but received the exact same results.

Any help in these regards would be very appreciated.

2. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Install the drive directly in a PC to recover files.
    You are adding another unknown with a drive caddy.

If that doesnt help, try copying the files off with a system backup program, hoping it can worm its way past the problem parts of the drive.
    This will bypass most security issues in making the copy.
    Once restored to a good drive you may be able to gain access again.
    ie its possible the security issue is due to corruption, or is a real security issue but is unable to be resolved while using the OS file system tools on the corrupt drive.

funkydmunky likes this.
  3. funkydmunky

funkydmunky 2[H]4U

Thanks for you help Nenu. I was using an external plugin because I had to manipulate the drive into spinning up. Flipping, banging, turning on its side etc....
    So I plugged it back in the original machine but kept it on the outside with lengthily cables so I could manipulate it to spin-up. Copying files as I type and they are verified working. I never thought that having it in the original machine would matter. Now I have one more trick in my HDD salvaging play-book.
    Cheers!

Nenu likes this.
  4. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

Neat, glad it helped :)

5. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

Hi! Captain obvious here:

Make a regular backup plan from now on.