Trouble with 4 WD 640gb drives, please please help.

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
I just upgraded my RAID5 from a rocketraid 1640 and 3 Seagate 400gb drives to 4 WD (blue) 640gb drives on a rocketraid 1740.

This is my problem. One of the drives is only seen as SATA 150. 3 are seen as SATA II like they should be, but one will not get mounted as SATA II no matter what I do. I have swapped ports and get the same results. I have the RAID5 volume built, and I can turn on NCQ, and everything else that would apply to a modern drive on all 4, but one still will not mount as SATA II.

I have upgraded the raid card's bios, and while that has the volume running faster, the one drive still will not mount as SATA II.

I don't know what to do. I want to return the drive for an exchange, but since it was an OEM clearance, I can only exchange it if it is truly defective. Not being able to mount as the drive specs sounds defective to me, but then again, it could be some kindof bug that I am not aware of with the raid card, or with the drive it self.

Any ideas? If It is truly defective I can exchange it, but then I want to be sure that the next drive wouldn't suffer the same problem. Like I said, I am not sure if it is a bug (or feature), of the 1740, or the drive it self. There are no jumpers on the drive to put it in SATA 300 mode. I can jumper the drives down to SATA 150, but then I am not sure if that turns off the other features, like NCQ, and everything else that goes with these drives. I know that the WD640 is one of the fastest drives when acoustic management is turned off, but I am not concerned with that, I am only trying to make sure that all 4 drives on the RAID are mounted with the same specs. If it is not a bug with the drive or the card, I would want to jumper them down to SATA 150, but I would like to know if that would turn off all the other advanced features on the drive. There is little documentation about this. The only thing I can find on these drives is pages describing how to adjust the Acoustic Management, nothing about what the results of jumpering to sata 150 would do aside from burst speed. SATA 150 burst speed would not slow me down, but I would like to maintain all the other features that go with a modern SATA II drive.

So... what do you guys think? Return and exchange the drive? Jumper them all down to SATA 150 *IF* the drive still retains it's other modern functions. MY controller is saying that the sata 150 drive still has NCQ and everything else, but I am really at a loss as to why 4 identical drives have 3 working as they should and one only detecting as SATA 150. Like I said, I swapped ports and everything so I don't think it is the 1740, but you never know?

Any advice would be appreciated. My PC is an Asus A8V Deluxe, opteron 170, 2gb of crucial RAM, and windows xp x64. I do know that the rocketraid x64 drivers are mature. I was using a 1640 for a long time on xp x64, and it worked like a charm, it just was just a shame to have these modern drives on a raid card that only supported SATA 150, and not even native, it actually used highpoint's IDE raid chipset with a bridge to SATA. The rocketraid 1740 is native SATA II with NCQ support, as well as support for many other things that the 1640 lacked for modern (IE: large fully featured) drives.

bump, I really need to figure this one out before the period passes for returning the drive, if it is, indeed, the drive.

It is either defective or not as advertised as it cannot be used for your intended role which is a valid use of the drive.
Its possible the firmware of the drive needs an update but if you do that, you cannot return the drive.

Back