Trouble unlocking the MSI 6950 2GB

Headcase_Fargone

Limp Gawd
So I jumped on the Amazon deal a few days ago to add a second card (I bit on the HIS one from a couple of weeks ago) and my card just came in. Trouble is I can't seem to unlock this one like I did the HIS, although the hardware appears to be identical.

First step I took was creating a bios file to mod with GPU-Z. I then used the MOD_BIOS_HD_6950 batch file to edit it for the unlocked shaders. I then placed the modded.bin file into the winflash folder.

Just like with the HIS I got a "Cannot erase ROM" error when attempting to load the file through the GUI. So I went the command line route which worked like a charm on the HIS card:

atiwinflash -unlockrom 0

Got my little progress bar that blinked up for a moment then disappeared.

atiwinflash -f -p 0 modded.bin

Got a second little progress bar that blinked up for a moment then... disappeared. Waited and waited but I never got a confirmation that the flash was successful.

The switch is in the 1 position that the card came in, just like the HIS. What am I doing wrong here?

In case anyone comes here with a similar problem, all I did to fix this was run MOD_BIOS_HD_6950 again. Basically I started over from step one. I don't know what happened the first time, but the second time it worked flawlessly. User error perhaps, but I still had the command prompt up so I know I at least had all of the commands correct the first time. Very strange.

Back