Trouble shooting slow wifi

VladDracule

[H]ard|Gawd
Desktop plugged in shows ~180 mbps speeds on average, Iphone running speedtest, and surface pro have horrible speeds. How do i figure out if its the router thats causing the slow wifi?

What model is it? Desktop gets 180mbps on ethernet on speedtest, iphone and surface pro get what? Wireless is 802.11a/g/b/n/ac/xxx?

You can try them out in different locations on this router but that’s going to be hit or miss. Your mostly just looking for variances in your speed testing there.

A trying the same test on a different router (ideally with the same ISP if possible, if not at least one faster than what your testing at) will give you a non-scientific idea.

Those devices are pretty poor for WiFi speeds in general anyway.

My iphone has no problem maxing out 150mbps internet on speedtest. I agree that we need more info, not enough here to really suggest much

My iphone has no problem maxing out 150mbps internet on speedtest. I agree that we need more info, not enough here to really suggest much

What info exactly? What else can I even provide at this point? That's why I'm asking I don't know where to even look.

On a side note I just ran speed test here in starbucks and its fasters, with more consistency than my router at home is providing

What model router do you have? What are your wifi settings? Open, WEP, WPA, WPA2, aes/tkip? What band, 2.4 or 5ghz? What channel is it set to?

Back