Trouble shooting help

snowscum

n00b
Ok history. 4 year old system.BF1 player. I7-5820 16g ram. Upgraded monitor this weekend to a acer predator 272(1080). Wow what a change from my old Samsung. Also i snagged a gtx2080 while I was at best buy and plugged everything into
the old system. So why am I not seeing much improvement in fps? My old card was a gtx 970 and this 2080 isnt
really showing much improvment and running perfoverlay.showgraph 1 I am seeing a spike every so often in both cpu and gpu on the graph. 970=80fps 2080 90 fps. Ive played around with all the setting in the game and I can not figure out
why its not handling this game better. At least not $900 worth. The monitor blows me away why I didnt upgrade that piece years ago. Anything else I can try? Or should I take it back and start over with a whole new MB card combo?

Did you update the GPU driver? That or maybe you're CPU limited. You can use afterburner to see what the gpu utilization is.

Your looking at 1080p resolution? Vsync or something similar would be my guess if you’re sure BF1 didn’t autoadjust graphics options on you when the new card was detected.

Regardless, at 1080p your never going to see $900 of “better” from any card from a 970.

I have wiped and reinstalled the latest driver 3 times now and not installed the nvidia experience and it still doesn't change anything. I havent tried afterburner yet to see. Id like to know why
I get spikes in the cpu during gaming. The 970 doesnt do that. Ill play around later with afterburner and see if I can change anything without overclocking since I might take both the monitor and card back.
I just didnt want to start over buying crap over the net.

the GTX 2080 should be at least in the worse possible scenario than the GTX 970. in my case I know that my 1080ti it's about 130% - 150% faster than my gtx 970 last time I tested so yes, that difference worth easily 900$.

however. I must ask, what monitor you had before your current predator 272?, are you testing right now the same graphical settings used with your old GTX 970?. (watch out the resolution scale if you changed it). also, it's your CPU overclocked? if your CPU is not at least 4.2ghz I have to say it will severely bottleneck the GTX 2080 at such low 1080P resolution... in order to do a direct comparisson same settings and same area of the game should be tested.

So can you recommend a better monitor? Would trying a 4k monitor using that 2080 be more of a upgrade than what I currently bought this weekend? I should of
asked on here before I went overboard and spend this kinda cash on what I though would be a decent upgrade for bfv coming up.

Araxie: My old monitor was a 1080 samsung 60hz. The colors compared to the predator are night and day. So to tell the whole story. I bought the Founders addition 2070 with the monitor and
I was getting freezing in the game and big flickering from that card so I took it back to a different store and spend $200 more for the 2080 being compulsive haha. When I took the 2070 out i put the 970 back in and
had no problems what so ever and was running 70-90 fps. Im like should I just leave it the hell alone. But oh no I had to put a blower on the dam thing and now I am at a cross road of either take both back and just
spend the money on upgrading the MB and cpu and memory and keeping the 2080 and a recommended 4k monitor. Or try and make this work. Im not getting a good feeling this setup is going to work.

Araxie: My old monitor was a 1080 samsung 60hz. The colors compared to the predator are night and day. So to tell the whole story. I bought the Founders addition 2070 with the monitor and
I was getting freezing in the game and big flickering from that card so I took it back to a different store and spend $200 more for the 2080 being compulsive haha. When I took the 2070 out i put the 970 back in and
had no problems what so ever and was running 70-90 fps. Im like should I just leave it the hell alone. But oh no I had to put a blower on the dam thing and now I am at a cross road of either take both back and just
spend the money on upgrading the MB and cpu and memory and keeping the 2080 and a recommended 4k monitor. Or try and make this work. Im not getting a good feeling this setup is going to work.

You need to use afterburner and see if you have an obvious bottleneck. Then run other stuff to see if it's performing properly in other games/apps just not BF.

You need to use afterburner and see if you have an obvious bottleneck. Then run other stuff to see if it's performing properly in other games/apps just not BF.

Afterburner is showing cpu clock 2-12 pinned at 3398. Does that sound right? Thats just sitting here with only after burner running.

Try a different game. It could be BF specific.

For example, on Far Cry 5 I can't get more than around 100 - 120 fps on 1080p Ultrawide (even with 2080 Ti SLI). Changing settings or resolution doesn't help as it appears CPU limited.

Especially if you are playing large online games, it could certainly be a CPU bottleneck.

I notices it flakes out when going from the spawn screen to the game. Not everytime but quite often tonight. Seems to be worse tonight than last night.

I notices it flakes out when going from the spawn screen to the game. Not everytime but quite often tonight. Seems to be worse tonight than last night.

Try using DDU (display driver uninstaller) and see if that fixes it. Also turn gsync/vsync off for testing purposes.

Ok Ill try (gsync) tomorrow. I did the DDu thing 3 times, and the last time I didnt install nvidia experience which I didnt see any change.

thats with gsync off. The spikes get worse as time goes on like it almost a temp issue but its showing 74 on afterburner. This is on ultra just to note.

Attachments

• ingame.jpg
    ingame.jpg
    550.2 KB · Views: 0
I went to low and its still not over 100fps. Not sure what todo next. Micro center tomorrow to buy new stuff Im thinking. Think I should reinstall OS?

Well upgraded MB,CPU and a cpu cooler today and it got rid of the spikes in bf1. Used the same ram and all is well. Had a heck of a time with booting but used the old win7 disk and it finally found the SSD. I have no idea
why that worked but did a repair and tada upgrade complete. Still hovering around 90fps on ultra. I figured I would be getting alot more. Anyways thanks for the replies.

Run a benchmark like Time Spy and see what it is. Also actually posting your afterburner charts would be much more useful.

I havent figured out how to post AB charts. DLing 3dmark+Time spy. Ill post em here in a bit.

10589 on the 3dmark.

70 on the first graphics test and 63 on the second.

30.04 for the cpu test.

Last edited:
Ok the spiking is back this morning. Heres a screen shot of after burning running. That 7000 spike what is this card doing???

Attachments

• spike.jpg
    spike.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 0
You should activate Windows. I recall someone else having performance problems until they activated.

I went from win 7 to win 10 on the last mb and cpu. Do you know a way to activate it? I have the same ssd with everything and I tried using the existing key but it wont take it. Do I have togo buy it again?

So my win7 was a OEM and I dont think its good. It just takes me in circles even after retrieving my win 10 off this HD. There is a microsoft store at the mall. I should probably wipe this HD and start over. Its been doing some screwy stuff here and there.

So my win7 was a OEM and I dont think its good. It just takes me in circles even after retrieving my win 10 off this HD. There is a microsoft store at the mall. I should probably wipe this HD and start over. Its been doing some screwy stuff here and there.

I hope it's just a windows issue and you didn't go to all this trouble when it was something simple like changing a setting here and there. Keep us updated.

You can get Windows keys online for cheap. Sometimes they won't work, but for around $20 it's worth the gamble.

Just search for "Windows 10 key" on Google, I see lots of sites in the $15 - $30 range.

I would recommend backing up all your data and doing a fresh install. Might clear out some other issues as well.

Back