Trouble enabling 4 way SLI

CrazyRob

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm currently trying to test out 4 way sli using 4 GTX 580's on an Asus Rampage IV Extreme. All of the cards install normally and detect as expected, however, whenever I attempt to enable SLI, the only option presented is for 2 way SLI, leaving out the other two cards. 3 Way sli worked fine with the 3 way bridge, and all cards seem to work fine simultaneously with folding@home, so I don't think it's a hardware or power issue (Corsair AX1200 powering board and first 3 gpu's, OZZ 700watt powering last card only.) I do have the additional 6 pin power header on the board plugged in for PCI-E power, and the BIOS indicates all the cards are running at at least pci-e 8x.

I've updated the board to the latest bios(0803), and I have the latest intel chipset inf installed for x79 as well as the latest nvidia beta drivers (290.36) on Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Also, although I don't think this prevent it, but the first 3 cards are 3GB, the last card is only 1.5GB (I know running sli like this would limit all the cards to 1.5GB usable ram, but like I said, I'm just testing this out). Any thoughts?

Nevermind, I can't even SLI 2 of the cards with different memory amounts, so I guess you can't do that anymore. For the two card test, I tried making the 1.5GB card the primary to see if that made any difference, but still no sli options. And now I've found this:

http://sli.nvidia.com/page/slizone_faq.html#c19

Which says that I'm crazy, and that you can't mix and match cards with different amounts of memory (although I thought you used to be able to do that, maybe I'm imagining things).

Nevermind, I can't even SLI 2 of the cards with different memory amounts, so I guess you can't do that anymore. For the two card test, I tried making the 1.5GB card the primary to see if that made any difference, but still no sli options. And now I've found this:

http://sli.nvidia.com/page/slizone_faq.html#c19

Which says that I'm crazy, and that you can't mix and match cards with different amounts of memory (although I thought you used to be able to do that, maybe I'm imagining things).

your imagining things

4way.png

You can mix and match cards that have different cores and clock speeds. But I dont remember hearing anything about memory capacity.

I think crossfire might be to do different memory capacities but I can't say for sure.

Back