trouble during the first few minutes of installing vista 64bit

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by js09, Sep 4, 2008.

1. js09

js09 Limp Gawd

I'm trying to install vista 64bit on my new pc. When it boots up it says loading windows (the white horizontal text at the bottom of the screen) then the vista background texture appears and i'm able to move the mouse cursor. at this time the CD drive does not appear to be spinning.

10-15 minutes later after the system has been seemingly just sitting there, it restarts and repeats this process all over again. I let it do this about 5 or 6 times last night with no avail. as a note, i tried throwing my xp disk in and it began to install windows with no problem.

pc specs:
    q6600
    ati 4850
    2gb corsair ddr2-800
    GIGABYTE GA-EG43M-S2H

thanks.

2. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

Update the BIOS if possible, and check all connections and cables. You also should probably run Memtest and a HDD diag just to be sure.

3. js09

js09 Limp Gawd

memtest was fine, you don't think the HDD needs to be formatted (it's not) do you?

this motherboard is a new model so i'm hoping the bios does not need to be updated

4. Cmustang87

Cmustang87 [H]ardness Supreme

Well, if you're hard drive is not formatted I would be very amazed that you got to the Windows splash screen ;).

In all seriousness, if you got to the windows splash your hard drive is formatted in NTFS. Do as the above poster and run a hard drive test, I found using Hitachi's Drive Fitness Test works the best.

You can find it here, just create a bootable ISO from it.

5. DeaconFrost

DeaconFrost [H]ardForum Junkie

No, it is always best to start a Windows install with a blank, unformatted drive. As for the BIOS, it still could need to be updated, even if it is a new board. It could have been sitting on a shelf for 2 months before you bought it. I'd flash to the latest BIOS before installing the OS anyway, if newer one existed.

6. nessus

nessus 2[H]4U

Download and supply the AHCI driver for your board from the manufacturer via a USB key at the screen that shows which drives are available. The default MS AHCI driver has issues with the RAID and AHCI modes for the SATA controller on that motherboard. (I know, I have one)

Or switch the SATA mode to IDE in the BIOS if you don't need hot swap capability.

There have been multiple threads on this issue and that motherboard.